Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

? about Starline brass 44 & 45
 Login/Join

posted
Could anybody tell me the neck thickness of recent Starline brass in 44mag and 45Colt.
I remember the 44 as quite thin when they started years ago, which would be a problem with my dies...

thanks in advance

<1badassmagnum>
posted
the starline I used for my recent 50 ae loads held up well,I'm using rcbs dies with great success.midway has starline for about $25 per hundred if you like to try a few loads.what dies were you having problems with? are they steel or carbide ?

posted Hide Post
thanks for you answer

I use Lee dies. Like they say somewhere these will give you nice looking straight ctges, without wasp size.
They work great with the best brass i know, Win, Fed, Hdy, but other brands I can live without in these calibers have necks half as thick (Rem), or even less (IMI).
Other brands of dies I borrowed,like lyman and Hdy, can accomodate this by (in my op.) undersizing the case, leading to overworking it and a "bottle of coke" final look I don't fancy.
I know Starline to be of top quality, I used them in other calibers, but don't consider my dies to be the problem.

ps, I already use 44/40 expander and couldn't do any more for neck tension with the thin ones... the bullets just slip down with little pressure. In 45C I guess my 45acp dies would work...

one of us
posted Hide Post
Gil...
I've been using the Starline in both calibers for the past year. My brass measures .013" thick for each. Been doing heavy loads for both using Lee dies and so far, so good. Their brass seems to be a bit more consistent in spec than others I have tried.

Posts: 733 | Location: N. Illinois | Registered: 21 July 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Thanks Bob!