New
Find
Notify
Tools

lubing brass?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Is it always necessary to lube brass before you neck size. I just loaded 20 rounds in my .375 H&H with no lube and had no problems. It did not require alot of force in my press. Am I shortening my brass life or ruining my dies?

Thanks in advance.

Posts: 93 | Location: san antonio, texas | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Are your dies carbide? I am amazed that you didn't wind up with a stuck case. First time you get one stuck, you WILL start lubing, I bet. No lube is hard on the dies and the brass.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
<Kentucky Fisherman>
posted
Got one thing to say to you: Imperial Sizing Wax. Just go straight to that and save yourself a lot of time and trouble. A close second is the Hornady spray-on stuff, One Shot I think it's called.

one of us
Picture of HiWall
posted Hide Post
Have never found it necessary to lube cases for neck sizing, although I always run a little lube on a brush through the inside neck to ease the way for the expander ball coming out.

The Lee collet neck sizer does not require any lube.

Posts: 323 | Location: Back Home in Aus. | Registered: 24 September 2001Reply With Quote
<Hunter - DownUnder>
posted
I use a little graphite powder on every 5th case neck, keeps the die working smoothly. down side is your nice clean cases look like they've been doing Al Jolsen impersonations

one of us
Picture of Ol` Joe
posted Hide Post
If you`re useing a neck size die to do your neck sizeing you "normally" will get by without lubeing the case. However if you use a full lenght sizer to neck size (partial sizeing) play it safe and lube.
The neck sizeing dies are made to size only the neck and not "normally" touch the case body. The full sizeing die WILL do a bit of sizeing of the body when partially sizeing though, and a case can get stuck. Trust me I know [Embarrassed] I agree with the above posters that the inside of you necks should be lubed no matter which die you use. I lube all my cases just in case I have a chamber on the large size and a die at min. no matter what die I`m useing. Nothing screws up a day faster then a stuck case.......

Posts: 2535 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 20 January 2001Reply With Quote