New
Find
Notify
Tools

85 TSX in .243?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
My Son, Son-in-law and I are thinking about using the 85 TSX .243 on hogs this fall. This will be multiple firsts for us. Never hunted hogs, never tried TSX's. Anyone have good loads with this bullet? I've read several times that you should seat them short, and use Barnes data, but don't have a Barnes book yet.

Posts: 339 | Location: SE Kansas | Registered: 05 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think the barnes X bullets are a little tough to open up on a hog. I would think you'd want a bullet that will expand under less resistance than the X takes to open up, but that is just my opinion. You didn't say what powder you'll be using in these loads but what I have is from the Richard Lee "Modern Reloading" Second Edition. It shows two powders that I would recommend for this cartridge.

Varget 35 grains to start---- 38 grains MAX

H4350 42 grains to start---- 45.5 grains MAX

PS. I wouldn't try to seat these bullets to short because of the risk of pressure increase, with a 243win you can seat almost up to the lands without trouble. ( I have shot spire points that were into the lands with no problems) GOOD LUCK with your loads and your hunt!

Dennis
Life member NRA

Posts: 1191 | Location: Ft. Morgan, CO | Registered: 15 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
With respect to Luckyducker, I agree on powder choice, however, I do not know if he is referring to the standard X or the new TSX.

I can tell you the TSX will open on jackrabbit, coyotes, and certainly hogs.

Make no mistake about it. Barnes redesigned their hollow point so it will open in the first half inch and first inch at the most.

Oh, and they open real well on unwanted stray cats at my landowners blessing. 30+ strays in and around 3 barnes was too much.

Ted Kennedy's car has killed more people than my guns

one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys, as far as powders go, I've got quite a few on the shelf. I was thinking Varget, H4895, RL-15,4320, H380,H414, H4350,H4831SC, or RL-22 ought to to the trick. The seating short deal came directly from the Barnes Website. They recommend seating .05 from the lands. Most of my varmint rifles like regular spitzers seated close to if not in the lands.
We've got .270's and 7mm Rem Mag., but like the .24 and 25 cal stuff better where suitable.

Posts: 339 | Location: SE Kansas | Registered: 05 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ricciardelli
posted Hide Post
I'm going to stray from what the rest have suggested...

IMR-3031 From 30.0 grains to 37.9 grains
Remington 9-1/2 Primer

Posts: 3282 | Location: Saint Marie, Montana | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Rob1SG
posted Hide Post
Be careful of seating the TSX into or near the lands. This is a solid copper bullet and you may get some unexpected pressure. I have found the better accuracy seated short as Barnes suggests in my 7mmRM and my 338-06.

Posts: 1111 | Location: Edmond,OK | Registered: 14 March 2001Reply With Quote