New
Find
Notify
Tools

Leaving 'em primed?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Any problem with leaving primed cases is a closed box for several weeks before charging with powder and seating bullets?

Any chance it will affect primer performance?

Posts: 132 | Location: Idaho | Registered: 22 December 2002Reply With Quote
<Valkyrie>
posted
I doubt it being they are packaged in cardboard.

one of us
posted Hide Post
No problem leaving them for years, if the primers are not subjected to moisture or intense heat. I often have primed cases sit for long periods of time with no degredation.

I have also had primers submersed for days in water that worked fine after a long drying period. That was twenty years ago or more, and the few remaining of that batch still work fine.

I am using World War II surplus 4831 that still gives the exact same balistics as it did when I bought it 30 years ago. Also 20-30 year old powders of a number of types -- flake, ball and extruded, single and double base, that have accumulated over the years. I have never seen a problem with any of them.

For practical purposes, these components last a lifetime if you take some care with their storage, and often even if you don't.

Posts: 283 | Location: Florida | Registered: 12 August 2001Reply With Quote
<eldeguello>
posted
No problem at all, as long as the brass is kept in a cool, dry place.

one of us
Picture of ricciardelli
posted Hide Post
Np problem at all.....

Posts: 3282 | Location: Saint Marie, Montana | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Standard procedure for me. Prime and store all empties until I have time to finish the job. All go bang.

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
since you can buy em primed, i doubt there's a real storage issue... see, teh primers are in cardboard too...
<grin>
jeffe

Posts: 38650 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote