New
Find
Notify
Tools

wlr primers
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
i had a wlr primer rupture today while doing load work on a newly done GTR 3006 RIFLE. WLR LOT #CFL 4720.googled the wlr primers and saw others have hed same problem. 54gr. H4350& 168MK .010 off lands. starting load. just a heads up. hate to have a nice rifle damaged like that but i suppose Greg can fix it.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The WLR and WLRM primers I have are undersize in diameter and fit loose in good new brass!

These primers are not plated with a nickel or chrome look like other primers have been but are just made from raw brass!

The lot #'s are DNL836G and DLL 212G

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Good to know. I have always liked the fact that Winchester primers are just a bit hotter than some other primers. I've been using WLR and WLRM primers almost exclusively for the last 3 years without a problem but, I will be more watchful and careful now reloading with them.

Start young, hunt hard, and enjoy God's bounty.

Posts: 383 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: 24 December 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of lee440
posted Hide Post
WLR primers have been my primer of choice for 25 years but no more. Several months ago I finally ran out of my old stock and started into the new stuff. I always use a Lee hand priming tool because it is easy and it allows me to "feel" the size of the pocket in regards to pressures/case life, etc. I noticed that the primers were slipping in so easily that it felt like the pockets were expanded, they were not. I checked the WLR's with my calipers and they are undersize. I checked my CCI and Federal and they are all .210 and feel normal in my brass. Maybe it is the lack of plating, that makes sense. It may not really matter safety-wise, but I like the safety factor of being able to feel the condition of the pocket and Winchester took that away. The bean counters probably figured they could save money by eliminating the plating... go figure!

DRSS(We Band of Bubba's Div.)
N.R.A (Life)
T.S.R.A (Life)
D.S.C.

Posts: 2272 | Location: Texas | Registered: 18 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I will still use WLP, WSP but not Winchester small rifle. Around 2000 Winchester changed their primer to the brass finish primer. I called Winchester and found that this was part of a product change to make their primers more sensitive. That is fine for low pressure pistol rounds, but what I found with my AR15 loads is that WSR pierce at pressures that never bothered my nickel plated WSR. After eating a handful of AR15 firing pins, I decided, WSR were not for me.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
This is the same sort of thing that's been going on for decades: Take a product that's good, perhaps even exceptionally good, and with a loyal customer following, and "re-engineer" it.

When challenged, the pimply faced "engineer" whose voice has barely changed says something like, "I am an engineer with a degree. I know more than you. You are nothing but an old uneducated technician, mechanic, machinist, or whatever. We do it my way." With predictable results. Just another example here. It ain't gonna stop; it's just gonna get worse...

A good job is sometimes just a series of expertly fixed fark-ups.
Let's see.... is it 20 years experience or is it 1 years experience 20 times?
And I will have you know that I am not an old fart. I am a curmudgeon. A curmudgeon is an old fart with an extensive vocabulary and a really bad attitude.

Posts: 324 | Location: Too far north and 50 years too late | Registered: 02 February 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The plating issue vrs the diameter of the primers being undersize and out of specification are a simple but serious mistake. That's all.

Having worked a lifetime in manufacturing and procurement we caught stuff like this at times and it's likely mistakes got by us as well.