New
Find
Notify
Tools

7x57 and 6.5x55 necked up?
 Login/Join

<leo>
posted
Does anyone know if either of these cartridges has ever been necked up to .308 or 8mm? The 7x57 would have to be the 8mm-7x57 not the oringinal 8x57 mauser. Just curious.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Yes, both have been necked up and down to most all calibers...The 8x57 is for all "practical purposes" a 8mmx57. There are some miniscule difference that a reszing die will iron out.

------------------
Ray Atkinson

ray@atkinsonhunting.com
atkinsonhunting.com

Posts: 41833 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
<Mike Dettorre>
posted
I have a 358x57 "improved". Its been straight walled "almost" with a 20" shoulder angle.

But then we found out the reamer was cut wrong so now I have to start with 06 case.

So what I have is basically a 35 Whelen thats a little shorter.

If you look at the 8x57 case it falls right between the .308 7 30-06 case and there isn't much room between the two to begin with.

If you are working from a mauser action you could argue the case will fit the mag box better other wise you woud have to say...if you want a short action go with a 308 variation if you have a standard action you might as well go with 06 action.

I think a neat wildcat would be a 338/284 or you could just get the 338 HEM.

Folks say 284 brass is hard to come by but the local reloading components stor enear me has tons of it regularly.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Confusion reigns. In this case it's a steady downpour. A 7x57 necked up to 8mm would not be the same as the 8x58 mauser.
7x57 dimensions from base to beginning of shoulder, 1.470 inch. From base to beginning of neck, 1.895 inch.
For the 8MM Mauser (8x57) the dimensions run as follows. From base to beginning of shoulder, 1.827 inch. From base to beginning of neck, 1.933 inch.
Cartridge dimensions taken from Lyman loading manual #47.
If one were to neck up 7x57 brass to make 8x57 (8mm Mauser) ammo, one would have one hell of a headspace problem.
Paul B.

Posts: 2814 | Location: Tucson AZ USA | Registered: 11 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by leo:
Does anyone know if either of these cartridges has ever been necked up to .308 or 8mm?

The 6,5 x 55 has been wildcatted to 7 x 54 Swedish (NOT to be confused with the 7 x 54 French wildcat) and to 8 x 54. The latter one also was factory produced by Norma for some decades, and used a 12,7 grams bullet.

Carcano

Posts: 2452 | Location: Old Europe | Registered: 23 June 2001Reply With Quote
<pakrattusnongratus>
posted
Why not chamber for the .358 Winchester? If you use a long action,you might even seat bullets out farther in the neck and have more powder space!

------------------
Member NRA, Life NMLRA

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pakrattusnongratus:
Why not chamber for the .358 Winchester?

Pressure (in a M 94 and M 96 Swedish Mauser action).

Carcano

Posts: 2452 | Location: Old Europe | Registered: 23 June 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
A neat wildcat can be made by running a 308 Winchester reamer in to 55mm then using 6.5x55 as parent brass. You end up midway between a 308 and 30/06. In this case pressures are whatever you make them. Regards, Bill.

Posts: 3522 | Location: Elko, B.C. Canada | Registered: 19 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Bill that sounds interesting. Anymore details? - Dan

Posts: 5284 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 05 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Not really. It was just an idea I came up with when I obviously had too much time on my hands. Measuring my 308 BR reamer I saw that going in the additional 4mm would just make room for 6.5x55 brass. My idea was to have a cartridge that would do just a little more than the 308 without going to the 06 for 1000 yd shooting. should be able to gain about 100fps with 185s. Regards, Bill.

Posts: 3522 | Location: Elko, B.C. Canada | Registered: 19 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Bill. - Dan

Posts: 5284 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 05 October 2001Reply With Quote