New
Find
Notify
Tools

harpoon launching loads
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Amyone have any idea what I should use for starting loads to launch 1.5 lb harpoons from a 50-70 size case with smokeless powder? I use 10-14 gr of FF black now with good results on wood shafts and up to 30 gr FF with metal shafts but want to switch to smokeless. Thanks for the help.

Matthew

Posts: 383 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 29 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
not sure about the powder, but i'm quite certain that you should use match grade magnum primers Big Grin

Posts: 13446 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The general conversion to Nitro from Black is 40% of the blackpowder load in 4198. A filler is used to fill the space between the nitro powder and the base of the bullet. It's used as a filler, NOT as a wad.

As to whether or not this method will work with pound and a half harpoons, I have no clue.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Kenati
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Matthewx:
Amyone have any idea what I should use for starting loads to launch 1.5 lb harpoons from a 50-70 size case with smokeless powder? I use 10-14 gr of FF black now with good results on wood shafts and up to 30 gr FF with metal shafts but want to switch to smokeless. Thanks for the help.

Matthew

Mathewx,

This is one of the greatest questions I've read on here in quite some time. For the love of God, PLEASE share some pictures with us.

I think the suggestion to only use match grade primers by butchloc is helpful, but please don't forget to ream the primer pockets square, debur the flash holes, and use a VLD chamfer on the case mouths! Are you neck sizing only, or just PFLR? Wink

Posts: 1051 | Location: Dirty Coast | Registered: 23 November 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Also, be sure to check the runout and OAL. Crimp, or no?

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What kind of groups do you get with that rig?

Posts: 13978 | Location: http://www.tarawaontheweb.org/tarawa2.jpg | Registered: 03 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SR4759:

Depends on the sea state ...

Posts: 13301 | Location: On the Couch with West Coast Cool | Registered: 20 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

Matthew

Have you thought of using a black powder substitute like Pyrodex?

Smokeless powder requires higher pressures than black powder in order to burn properly and generate enough pressure to drive your projectile. That pressure can damage guns not strong enough for it. So, what are you shooting your 50-70 cartridges in, and are they actually 50-70s or just something of the same size?

How good a seal does the base of the harpoon make with the bore? I am not sure what difference that will make, but I bet it makes something.

General rule of thumb with smokeless powder is that heavier bullets get lighter charges (heavier bullets don't move as fast as lighter ones and develop higher pressures than ones that get out of the way faster). I imagine your harpoon is quite a bit heavier than your average 50-70 slug.

I would seriously consider pyrodex. Guns made for black powder don't do well with smokeless powders unless you are VERY careful and if you don't have a few spare guns to lose to the testing process...well, it's up to you. Pyrodex is much cleaner-burning the BP and was designed to be used in guns designed for black powder.

Be safe. Always, all ways. Good luck.

Lost Sheep

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I will get some pictures up tomorrow with a few more details.

Of course I always turn the necks, champfer and square primer pockets and flash holes and of corse I sort cases by weight. I bought 10,000 brass and then culled them down to just 23 useable pieces but am getting 6" groups at 20 yards so it was worth every minute and every penny Smiler

Actually it does use a 50-70 case and depending on the rod and head shoots well. I am casting up some copies of the original head and will post more when the time comes. I intend to use it with some muzzy Gatorgetters this summer to get some gators.

Matthew

one of us
Picture of Kenati
posted Hide Post
quote:
I intend to use it with some muzzy Gatorgetters this summer to get some gators.
Matthew

Uhhhh... lemme know if you need a deck hand. I've got to see this shit! Hell, I'll even take you to my favorite gator hole!

Posts: 1051 | Location: Dirty Coast | Registered: 23 November 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cane Rat
posted Hide Post
Have you ever chronoed it? What kind of velocity can one get with a 1.5lb harpoon? Maybe at least 200 to 300 fps? (I am serious with this question, just curious)

Posts: 2767 | Location: The Peach State | Registered: 03 March 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have not even thought of it but I do have a 35P so I can crono some loads. That will give me something to do next week Smiler

Matthew

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mathew, I can't wait to see the picutres.

Not to hijack, but here's my harpoon launcher.

It's a Navy Arms copy of a Greener and uses measly 38 special blanks. I made up some 1 pound dummy harpoons with blunt brass heads to chrono and determine what velocity I should be looking for with my reloads, but haven gotten valid data yet. My mistake was using brass for the screws to hold the head into the steel shaft. That only lasted 1-2 shots each before shearing. I've killed two chronos in my life and am leary about losing a thrid, but it is in the interest of science I suppose!

Without the drag of a trailing line the harpoon would yaw badly when leaving the muzzle, adding to the danger of hitting the chrono and making a valid reading harder. The botton shaft was an attempt to vent a bit of the gas radially prior to fully leaving the barrel. Nice in theory, but I doubt it will have much effect. It did work fine on the seal picutre.

I'd love to see what a 50-70 case does!

Bob

DRSS

"If we're not supposed to eat animals, why are they made out of meat?"

"PS. To add a bit of Pappasonian philosophy: this single barrel stuff is just a passing fad. Bolt actions and single shots will fade away as did disco, the hula hoop, and bell-bottomed pants. Doubles will rule the world!"

Posts: 813 | Location: MT | Registered: 14 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Omnivorous_Bob:
...It did work fine on the seal picutre. ...
Big Grin BOOM

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of eagle27
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SR4759:

Nothing under of "minute of whale" should be acceptable. dancing

Posts: 3882 | Location: Nelson, New Zealand | Registered: 03 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Ghubert
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kenati:
quote:
I intend to use it with some muzzy Gatorgetters this summer to get some gators.
Matthew

Uhhhh... lemme know if you need a deck hand. I've got to see this shit! Hell, I'll even take you to my favorite gator hole!

Me too, me too!

God bless America.... patriot

Posts: 11731 | Location: London, UK | Registered: 02 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have seen 3 on Martini actions:
In Jaws....
In Waterworld.....
And at a LA gun show that gave credence to the other 2.
And I know where there is a nice Martini action............
Bluegills beware!

Posts: 436 | Location: South Central PA | Registered: 11 November 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of sonofagun
posted Hide Post
Not in the Sierra manual?

Bob Shaffer

Posts: 1946 | Location: Michigun | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote