New
Find
Notify
Tools

6.5x55 oal questions
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Greeings, I have built up a yugo mauser action in this caliber with the assistance from Jack Hamrick. Since my son is 10 today, and it's his first "centerfire", I have several questions. My load book shows no load for 100 gr. (Sierra HP) so we started with 45 gr IMR 4350 and an oal of 2.95. I know there are some tricks to tell where your bullet actually hits the lands and then again a trick to calculate how far off them you are supposed to seat the bullet. Can someone assist me in this issue?

Many thanks,

Tim Campen

Posts: 274 | Location: GREENVILLE SC | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Jack's a good man. Find out from him whether or not he used the standard reamer, or if he cut the throat for a specific bullet. If he used the standard reamer, I doubt you will ever be able to seat the 100 grain bullet to the lands since the length is set to also accommodate the 160 grain bullets.

Barring that, I would use a dummy case, with a blackened bullet in it and chamber it. You will see the lands marks on the bullet. You can get the measurement now as to the OAL for the bullet JAMMED into the lands. That is your starting point. Re-black the bullet, seat it deaper until the marks go away. Measure each time. I used to use the stoney point OAL gauge until I figured it did not give me true measurements. It measures off the shoulder, not from the bolt face, which is the only true measurement.

Btw, you can blacken the bullet with a sharpee or candle.

Larry

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history, when everybody stands around reloading" -- Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 3942 | Location: Kansas USA | Registered: 04 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Tim

Seating into the lands, off the lands, or somewhere in between is a fine-tuning method for a precision rifle and load. I doubt that your Mauser would be able to tell the difference.

Seat the bullets to fit the magazine or to a COL recommended in a good loading manual.

JMHO

Ray

Arizona Mountains

Posts: 1560 | Location: Arizona Mountains | Registered: 11 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Cheechako,

Thanks for explaining that. I am not an avid reloader, but would like to know the basics. I had a friend tell me about that bullet seating stuff and it sounded like you had to do it to be successful. I don't really want that level of detail yet. Nice groups and self loaded shells are my goal.

Best,

Tim

Posts: 274 | Location: GREENVILLE SC | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
size a case, seat a bullet long, and chamber it, closing the bolt. if the bullet jams in the throat, knock it out with a cleaning rod, and start over seated 10 thou deeper.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The 100 grn bullet is not very long for a 6.5X55.
Seat it one caliber deep and try it.

Posts: 13978 | Location: http://www.tarawaontheweb.org/tarawa2.jpg | Registered: 03 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of James Kain
posted Hide Post
Here is what I do with my 6.5Swede, and all my other rifles.
I use a fired case if it holds the bullet snugly enough to not juggle around by hand. I then set the bullet in as shallow as possible. So when I close the bolt on it it seats the bullet. This is where the no play comes in. Then I crimp it in place.
There you have one bullet style saved on that empty case for that specific rifles OAL.

To take it a step farther. You can do this before of after. Your call, but!
Take a peace of eraser just like the ones you used as a kid in high school. You then cut out enough to fill your primer pocket. Super/gorilla glue into pocket. Bam! You now have that bullet type measured for that bullet style in your rifle and made it into a snap-cap!
I figure out how to cut my eraser to size by using a old ink pad then placing the bottom of the case on the eraser. If you cut it too deeply, just trim off after glued in place.
beer

Disabled Vet(non-combat) - US Army
NRA LIFE MEMBER
Hunter, trapper, machinest, gamer, angler, and all around do it your selfer.
Build my own CNC router from scratch. I installed the hight wrong. My hight moves but the rails blocks 3/4 of the hight.....

Posts: 934 | Location: North Anson Maine USA | Registered: 27 October 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DuggaBoye
posted Hide Post
This thread may be helpful.

http://forums.accuratereloadin...=368106055#368106055

DuggaBoye-O
NRA-Life
Whittington-Life
TSRA-Life
DRSS
DSC
HSC
SCI

Posts: 4593 | Location: TX | Registered: 03 March 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Ol` Joe
posted Hide Post
Try seating to 2.85" from base to tip. This will give you close to one caliber of bullet shank in the neck and is where I started when I loaded the similar shaped 100gr Nosler Partition in my Swede.

------------------------------------
The trouble with the Internet is that it's replacing masturbation as a leisure activity. ~Patrick Murray

"Why shouldn`t truth be stranger then fiction?
Fiction after all has to make sense." (Samual Clemens)

"Saepe errans, numquam dubitans --Frequently in error, never in doubt".

Posts: 2535 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 20 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Dr. Lou
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Cheechako:
Tim

Seating into the lands, off the lands, or somewhere in between is a fine-tuning method for a precision rifle and load. I doubt that your Mauser would be able to tell the difference.

Seat the bullets to fit the magazine or to a COL recommended in a good loading manual.

JMHO

Ray

+1

NRA Life Benefactor Member

Posts: 3316 | Location: USA | Registered: 15 November 2001Reply With Quote