New
Find
Notify
Tools

BR-2 primers and Varget powder
 Login/Join

<Tikka22-250>
posted
[Confused] Does anyone use BR-2 primers and Varget in their 22-250 with 40gr V-Max moly? If so, how many grains of powder are you guys using,is it ok to go over published Maximums? Do the BR-2 primers make a difference in accuracy?
thanks in advance [Smile] [Big Grin]

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tikka22-250:
[QBIf so, how many grains of powder are you guys using,is it ok to go over published Maximums?[/QB]

Since you seem like you will push any info given to the limit, I'll refrain from saying what charge I use, in the interest of liability.

If you feel the need to go beyond published loads, you are on your own. Be very careful. Watch for ANY signs that you are pushing the limits. I know it's been said before, but remember that every gun/load/component combination is different, and can vary according to the day & conditions.

<Tikka22-250>
posted
COLD BORE, I'm not trying to push any given info to the limit, I'm just trying to gather LOTS of info and data from other shooters and compare them to mine, I just want to compare, If another shooter give me their data then I compare it I don't go and run that through my rifle.

I asked about published loads because I recieved some "data" and loads and they were beyond MAX.
That's why I compare and ask questions.

Be cool See Ya Martin [Big Grin]

<green 788>
posted
You will always get your most accurate load data from the powder manufacturer. They are the entity with the most to gain from high numbers, and conversely the most to lose from numbers that are too high.

Contact Hodgdon and you'll get a safe max charge for the load you mention.

If you're intent on shooting beyond about 350 yards with the 22-250 on varmints weighing over 5 pounds, PLEASE go with a heavier bullet. I would use the 40's at closer ranges, and 55's at the long ranges. The 40's simply shed velocity too fast to be effective on larger varmints at long range. (Read .223 vs. .243 vs. .270 for a note on the terminal performance observed by the 40 grain Hornady VX factory 22-250 load at 335 yards on an eastern groundhog--dismal! And this from a 26" barreled rifle.)

The CCI BR's seem to be custom made for Varget powder, or perhaps that's the other way around. In any event, they work extremely well together. The CCI BR's are probably the most consistent primers on the market these days...

Dan Newberry
green 788

one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm using VarGet in my Weatherby SVM .22-250 along with CCI BR2 primers. Most of the load data I have was from this websites reloading pages. I'm also currently using the 40 gr. V-Max moly as well. I've tried everything from 36.0 gr. up to 41.2 gr. of VarGet with this bullet. Believe it or not, the best accuracy I have gotten was at or above 39.5 gr. of powder with the most accurate being the 41.2 gr. load. I trim my cases to 1.902 and have an O.A.L of 2.350 after bullet seating. There are no signs of pressure at 41.2 gr. in MY rifle and I did start at 36.0 gr. carefully checking for pressure signs. I seriously doubt that I'll continue this practice. I'll probably stick with the 39.5 gr. load even though the 41.2 gr. load was a true one hole gouper.

Posts: 49 | Location: Ohio U.S.A. | Registered: 08 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Well, you have some really good responses already, but I will see if I can confuse you a little more.

In regard to using the BR2 primer, my local gunsmith swears by them. I, on the other hand, have had better luck using Federal 210M primers.
On the other hand, one of my 22-250's shoots better with WLR primers than either of these. You just have to test and see what each rifle likes. On a 22-250 that I just had built on a Rem 700 action (Hart 26 SS barrel), the BR2 and FED 210M primers give identical groups with most loads while the WLR and others open up pretty bad.

In regard to loads, you again just have to test.
In the afformentioned 22-250 that was just prepared for me I have found I have to stay way below published maximums and loads that I have used in a bunch of 22-250's in the past. With 40 grain V-Max bullets this rifle gives 4125 fps with only 37.5 grains of Varget while the published maximum on the can of powder is 39.5 grains for about the same velocity. I am getting over 4200 fps with using N 140 powder and am well below maximum according to all the numerous reloading manuals I own. (And yes, the chronograph works just fine, thank you.)

R F

Posts: 1220 | Location: Hanford, CA, USA | Registered: 12 November 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of R-WEST
posted Hide Post
Tikka22-250 -

Yes, Varget and CCI BR primers seem to be a perfect fit, for whatever reason. I first noted this after reading one of green788's posts on the subject, and went and checked my logs. In two different rifles, a 223 Rem VLS and 308 Rem VSSF, the best combo's with Varget always included the CCI BR4 (223) and BR2 (308).

At that time, I was working with a 22-250 VSSF, and had been getting decent groups with Varget, F210M's and 55 grain Nosler B-Tips; changing to the CCI BR2's cut groups noticeably. Sorry, no experience with 40 grainers.

R-WEST

Posts: 1483 | Location: Windber, PA | Registered: 24 January 2001Reply With Quote