Find
Notify
Tools

Custom Sizing Die
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted
Who is the best source from a timing and $$ standpoint for a custom sizing die.

I had used RCBS and Hornady in the past. Last time I went to Hornady they said they had no time.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would assume Lee.
Are you still thinking of heading this way come fall?

one of us
posted Hide Post
Ive always used RCBS, but someone said they not longer sell custom dies..

A good gunsmith like Dennis Olson will cut you a set for about $35, is you have set of dies that's standard or close for him to rechamber to your 3 fired rounds..He does good work.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42158 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Give me some specifics on what you need.

Posts: 17275 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
quote:
Are you still thinking of heading this way come fall?

Still trying to get the boss to commit..

What I'm trying to do is fix a F'up. Roll Eyes
Years ago when I was building my series of PDK wildcats I built a 380. 280 brass blown out shoulder forward. Had a set of RCBS dies made. Used it loved it. The owner of a WTX ranch I used to hunt on made an offer I couldn't refuse.

Had a buddy ask me to build two one for him one for his son. But he didn't want to fool with forming brass. So I cut the chambers a couple thousandth deeper to allow the 380 Howell brass to chamber. It's shoulder/neck intersection is longer but a shallower taper and not as blown out. Worked great and he had Hornady cut him custom dies. Simply load the first time like a factory case in an AI chamber.

Jump forward several years and I felt the need of a 380PDK again. I decided to go with the second version since Hornady had the specs on file. Ordered a short chambered barrel mounted and went to make the final cut. Got in a hurry didn't remove the shroud and kept trying to get a lighter "crush" fit. Roll Eyes

When I finally pulled my head out of my a$$ chamber was way to deep. Had the barrel set back a thread still too deep. Plus the 2.6" 380 Howell brass didn't leave me much neck. So went with Howell basic at 2.65" worked perfect except for one small issue.

Figured I would just use my FL sizer as a neck sizer. Except the basic brass is thinner than the 380. So my die doesn't give enough tension. So to cure that I bastardized a Lee 375 collet die to give me the tension I need. So I have to use a FL die set way off the shell holder plus the collet die.

While it works for me can't see passing it on to anyone. If the neck was correct yes someone could cut the old die.

Just figured it would be easier and safer to get a proper FL die for my chamber. But I'm open to suggestions.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
I'm never keen on paying RCBS the exorbitant money they want for custom dies so if I had to use two other dies, that is what I would do. After all, how many rounds do you need to make? Might take a few minutes longer. I would try combinations of other off the rack dies to make it work. Now, others would just pay the money and get the right, one, die.

Posts: 17275 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
For less than the price of a custom die, you might be able to get a custom reamer made. I've made several dies out of grade 8 bolts. The chamber reamer works for cutting the seating die and an undersize reamer works to cut the sizer. If you have the chamber reamer, you could make a bushing neck die that might work well enough. Just a thought...

One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
oldMaybe you could get a set of Butch's bushings. I've used them on a # of my wildcats. beerroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
My current work around works. Even if it was the only rifle I hunted with all year it wouldn't take more than a second coffee for the extra step.

This rifle will more than likely be passed on to a member of the family. Can't imagine there would be a market with the H&H and Ruger being far easier.

While the boys reload was just thinking about making it easier and less confusing.

The best answer would be to pull the barrel and do a proper chamber to match the dies. But now I have 200 cases formed to the longer chamber.

If it had a nicer piece of wood I could simply convert it. But, not sure the Ruger would clean it up and the H&H would require box work. Just went and looked at the Ruger. The shoulder body neck point is 2.18" that was my point before I cut too deep. So only the H&H.

Yes a simply bushing would work. If they were the right dia. If my memory is working I think I had to adjust the collet die to allow more compression. So I doubt a factory die throat would work.

My only guess is the basic brass was simply drawn further than the 380 and thus is thinner in the neck.

Lee at first look appears the cheapest until you read and find out about the $150 setup plus the die. Don't mind the $100-135 I see at other sites.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K