New
Find
Notify
Tools

Recommended Press for 470 NE ?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I currently have a RCBS Rockchucker that is a nuisance when loading the 470 NE (too short to release the loaded cartridge without unscrewing the die).

Does the new version of the Rockchucker allow enough height for the 470? Is the AmmoMaster Press one to consider? Any others that you recommend?

Many thanks for your help.

Posts: 80 | Location: Atlanta, Georgia, USA | Registered: 13 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Kanatak
To load my 450 No2 I had to buy the RCBS press that is advertised as big enough to load the 50 Browning. It works very good for the big Nitro Express ctgs.

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
And that would be the RCBS "AmmoMaster" press. Works great for me too.

Posts: 28032 | Location: KY | Registered: 09 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
One thing you can do is put your 470 dies in Lock-N-Load bushings. These are little 8-lug bushings (threaded 7/8-14 on the inside) that lock into an adapter in your press by turning 1/16 of a turn. The Lock-N-Load adapter replaces the 7/8-14 adapter that is in the top of your Rock Chucker press.

It takes about 3 seconds to switch dies if you have Lock-N-Load bushings installed, and the dies don't lose their adjustments, because you never unscrew them again. If you are anal retentive, you can file a mark on each bushing so the lug patterns mesh the same each time. I doubt that this is necessary.

Hornady sells the adapter for $10 or $12 and the bushings are about $3 apiece.

H. C.

Posts: 3691 | Location: West Virginia | Registered: 23 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Kanatak: I got an RCBS AmmoMaster after I found out my other press wouldn't handle my .45-120-3 1/4 Sharps cartridges. Works great. Bear in Fairbanks

Posts: 1544 | Location: Fairbanks, Ak., USA | Registered: 16 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ricciardelli
posted Hide Post
You can either get the new RCBS Rock Chucker Supreme or try and locate an old RCBS Big Max.

Posts: 3282 | Location: Saint Marie, Montana | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I use a RCBS AmmoMaster for .470 NE also. No complaints. Works well.

Posts: 3485 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 22 February 2001Reply With Quote