Find
Notify
Tools

Extractor issues Model 700 VSSF II?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
G’day all,
I am having an issue with my 22-250/22-250AI REM 700 VSSF II. It is a switch barrel rifle with the above 2 barrels.
I am having trouble with cases that previously chambered fine are now having the rim torn up as the bolt closes with substantial resistance.
Have checked headspace with both barrels, nothing has changed there, so I am perplexed as to what’s causing it.
Is my extractor broken, worn or not working anymore the way it should?
I also have a spot on the nose of the bolt that is showing a bit of galling/binding evidence. I looked in the raceways, lug recesses and barrel counterbore, could not see any burrs, chips or other eveidence of the cause.

This is why I like CRF rifles.

Cheers.

Posts: 683 | Location: N E Victoria, Australia. | Registered: 26 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Previously chambered, fired, or previously chambered, nothing done to them?
CRF or not would not affect hard chambering. How does it close with factory loads/brass/resized brass?

Posts: 17295 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 243winxb
posted Hide Post
case head expansion?

Posts: 1295 | Location: USA | Registered: 21 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dpcd:
Previously chambered, fired, or previously chambered, nothing done to them?
CRF or not would not affect hard chambering. How does it close with factory loads/brass/resized brass?

Sorry DPCD, this is new unfired brass and resized brass. I have never encountered this with any of my Rem 700 based rifles.
I am also getting brass shavings in the bolt nose, something is stopping the brass from chambering correctly. The ejector seems to be depressing as it should, I don’t want to disassemble the extractor as a replacement here would take weeks, if not months to get it here.
As stated, I cannot find the cause.

Cheers.

Posts: 683 | Location: N E Victoria, Australia. | Registered: 26 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Could it be brass shavings in the chamber to make the cartridges difficult to chamber and extract. Sharp edges in the magasine or action ramp?

Posts: 3611 | Location: Sweden | Registered: 02 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
I was going to say ejector.
Too late.
Send me a picture of your bolt face. I will PM my email.

Posts: 17295 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote