New
Find
Notify
Tools

measure for light target loads
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
for charge weights of 2.0 to 3.0 grains would a fix rotor measure like lyman's accumeasure be most accurate and consistant or an adjustable measure. thanks

Posts: 107 | Location: alabama | Registered: 18 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
YES!!!
I have a dozen Lyman Acculine Pistol Powder Measures. I use one to load 4.1 grains of Unique into a 22 Hornet case. I also use a Hornady Pistol Powder Measure [22 disks available] to load 5.6 gr of Unique.
Before you set any measure up PERMANENTLY, weigh the charge several times for CONSISTANTLY.

Posts: 355 | Location: Roanoke, Virginia | Registered: 29 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Dino32HR
posted Hide Post
I use a Lee Auto Disk for my "bulk" reloading - anything over 20 rounds at a sitting. [Wink] It is supplied with 4 differant rotors with 6 cavities in each. I modify them with inserts I make or I ream the chambers a little bigger in order to achieve the "perfect" drop when necessary. I have great success with drops of 3.0 grains of Titegroup up to 27 grains of H4895 (with the Double Disk Kit for this big drop).

I use the Lee Perfect Powder measure when developing loads due to its easy adjustment and very accurate capability to record your drop amounts so you can repeat them in the future. It's very consistant.

You can get these for around $20 and $26 respectively from the Midway's, Midsouth's, etc. Dirt cheap and VERY accurate, repeatable and convenient. I use these for AA2,5 & 7, Titegroup, H4227, H4895, N100, W231 & 296. They work GREAT for all these from the flake to the ball to the extruded - once you develop your "technique."

And ditto on what Madison said - WEIGH your charges every time you set-up. [Wink] I also in-process weigh the drop every 20 or so cases to "just to make sure" as well as visually check every case before I seat a bullet. I may be a bit anal about drop safety, but I can shoot with confidence of my loads.

Good luck.

[ 06-10-2003, 05:37: Message edited by: Dino32HR ]

Posts: 243 | Location: Northeast OH | Registered: 03 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
madison and dino, thank you for the information. i am also concerned about safety, seeing how little powder was in the scale pan couldn't help but wonder if the same amount would drop into the case every time. i do like the idea of a fixed cavity.

one of us
posted Hide Post
SALENE:
Hornady once told me that the industry built in an 11%[lower] safety factor into their loading information. I don't take their wword for it. Weigh your starting loads and re-check as you throw powder.

Posts: 355 | Location: Roanoke, Virginia | Registered: 29 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
thanks madison, i get the impression from handloading articles and web sites that lee powder scoops or home made scoops isn't considered as good as a powder measure. it seems like a powder measure is nothing more than a mechanical powder scoop. i have been playing around with some lee powder scoops that came with the dies and finding weight variation only 0.1 to 0.2 grains. perhaps it is the convienence of the measure that makes it better, i am not quite sure. saline