THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Reloading    I think I reall messed up a sizing die... Ideas?

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I think I reall messed up a sizing die... Ideas?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Well I think I went and done it. I set up to size some 45 LC rounds and I grabbed a few that were flared and not yet sized. When I ran them threw the Bonnanza die I have (not carbide) it went very hard. after that I noticed that the brass was comming out with many lateral scratches and when I run my nail aroung them. Ouch. grooves! I looked in the die and there were stings of brass stuck all around the die. I soaked it in solvent and then hit the inside with very very fine wet/dry emmory paper to see if there were any steel to remove. It looks as bright as a mirror. Then I try and size some more and it slowly comes back. each round has more and more scratches in it. Did I junk the die? Any remidies that will not cost more than a new die? I wonder if Lee still offers to trade any die for theirs....Hummmm. Thanks in advance. JB

Posts: 104 | Location: Roanoke, VA , USA | Registered: 20 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Take it as a sign from God to buy a carbide die. And you can use a .45 ACP die until the carbide gets in. Just kinda size halfway.

Posts: 1570 | Location: Base of the Blue Ridge | Registered: 04 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
leftoverdj, that is how I did it before I picked up the Bonanza on ebay. I hit the die again with the wet/dry emmory and this time I was much more aggresive. It seems to be better. I may have to figure a way to polish it with some rouge to get it right again if it ever comes back. Lee makes carbide Hummmm.....JB

Posts: 104 | Location: Roanoke, VA , USA | Registered: 20 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
GET YOURSELF A LEE CARBIDE SPEED DIE . I BOUGHT ONE ABOUT 15 YRS YRS AGO AND WOULDN'T DO WITHOUT IT.

THE 2ND AMENDMENT PROTECTS US ALL.............

one of us
posted Hide Post
Been there...done that. I used a wooden dowel and jewlers rouge to polish the die. It worked, but you know, I still opted to get carbide dies. They are the only way to go when reloading pistols and revolvers.

Posts: 594 | Location: MT. | Registered: 05 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
MidSouth has the .45 carbide die alone for about $14 and the whole set for about $20.

Posts: 1570 | Location: Base of the Blue Ridge | Registered: 04 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If it isn't a carbide die, you need to lube your cases. Did you lube them? Sounds to me exactly like no lube, or not enough.

Carbide dies are great. You will be thankful once you get one, but for now, try some lube and see if that helps.

Posts: 426 | Location: Alpine, WY | Registered: 01 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I did that once with a carbide Lee die. Just tossed it and got another one, their cheap. A little lube will not hurt. A little and don't even worry about removing it.

Posts: 40 | Location: Phoenix AZ. | Registered: 15 October 2002Reply With Quote