Notify
Tools

Re: Tips and tricks
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of muskrat
posted
Robt.
Forget trying to save any money!!!!!!! Once you get into this you'll find any savings is eaten right up in buying more equipment!!!! Been loading since 1967 and i am still buying things!But buy away and enjoy it as much as i have and you never will be sorry! Buy the new reloading manuals,as soon as they come out.You never will regret it.
As a kind of a story related, I was at a gunshop and a young man came in and wanted to sell a rifle.Being kind of a curious sort I asked why he would want to sell his varmint rifle? His answer was the poorest excuse for ever saelling a gun I ever heard and I told him so! "Son you are making a BIG MISTAKE HERE! Selling a rifle to buy an engagement ring is NO WAY to start of a new marriage!!!!!!
Poor bastard,we couldn't talk him out of it and now my buddy bought the great shooting 22-250! Sure bet the boy regrets ever starting off that way!
muskrat
live to shoot-shoot to live!

Posts: 287 | Location: central ohio | Registered: 05 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jimmy Mac
posted Hide Post
Don't pay attention to those guys, you'll have fun.

Here is a trick for you. Use your Dremel tool with a small wire brush to clean primer pockets. Gets them shiny clean in no time flat.

one of us
posted Hide Post
>I am new to reloading, and I'm trying to shoot more cheaper<

No hope for you. Once you have been bitten by the bug because of the good results you can get and the fun you'll have, the savings go out the window. I gave up trying to save any money years ago and just resigned myself to having fun and having really great ammo. For me, the reloading of incredibly good ammo is more than 50% of the fun. It is a pride in what you do thing.

Have fun and forget the money.

Posts: 305 | Location: Indian Territory | Registered: 21 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have got up to ~35 calibers and ~50 load books in ~5 years.

It isn't saving money, but I must be getting something from it.

Getting obsessed with accuracy is what millions of men do.

If I had it to do over again, I would start out:
1) Reading Sinclair load book when it would have been all new information to me, and not confirming the lessons I learned the hard way.
2) Buy premium stuff; Leupold scopes, Lothar Walther barrels, Forster dies, Hornady Vmax bullets, new brass that I carefully prepare and sort, Dewey cleaning rods, benchrest, rabbit eared rear bag, plastic ammo boxes that carry well labeled ammo, lots of cleaning solvents & brushes & patches pushed with jags, hard shell cases for rifles that keep the scopes on, a tool box full of gunsmthing tools at the range and bring a flashlight.
3) When a die set comes with an expander ball, remove the expander ball on opening the set. It can pull the necks crooked.

--
A society that teaches evolution as fact will breed a generation of atheists that will destroy the society. It is Darwinian.

Posts: 2249 | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Lotsa ways you can save money when reloading.

I've heard you can buy ground corncob at pet stores or feedlots for much less than the media at gun stores. Haven't tried this yet...

Your most expensive component is bullets, so shop them carefully. Buying in bulk online can save, but remember to factor in shipping costs.

Forget buying powder online. The HazMat shipping fee will kill you.

Buy your reloading equipment used. Make sure its not trash, but you should be able to get a good press for under $50, and dies for $25 or so. I spent $20 on a powder measure.

I use the styrofoam stand for test tubes as a loading block. Got it from a friend who sells drugs. Errr, I mean he's a rep for one of the major pharmaceutical companies.

Posts: 132 | Location: Idaho | Registered: 22 December 2002Reply With Quote