Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Completely new to reloading
 Login/Join

posted
I am totally new to reloading & am looking for some advice.

I have settled on a Dillon 550 with the extras (bullet tray, low powder alarm etc) and thats as far as I have got.

I understand Redding Dies are considered by most as being the best, but what do I need to reload for my .223 Les Baer?

Basically what equipment do I ABSOLUTELY need & what is optional to reload the most accurate ammo for my target rifle?

one of us
Picture of Ol` Joe
posted Hide Post
The first thing to pick up is a GOOD manual or better yet two. I like the Lyman and new Nosler but they all have the basics and what you need listed in them. Don`t just look at the data, READ them. There may be things you quesion, ask here, you`ll find a lot of help explaining them to you.
The must haves you`re looking for are;
1-Dies & shell holder, full lenght for your semi auto
2-Powder Scale, RCBS,Redding Hornady, it doesn`t matter just have one.
3-A Powder Measure if you plan on useing your Dillon as a progressive.
4-Calipers
5-case trimmer, Lee has a cheap easy to use one that when used in a hand drill works OK for small batches of brass
6-deburring / chamfering tool
7-lube pad and lube
8-loading block

There are more tools you`ll want but this will get you started.

[ 06-18-2003, 22:50: Message edited by: Ol` Joe ]

Posts: 2535 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 20 January 2001Reply With Quote
<landtrain>
posted
Ole Jo has put out some good advice. Buy the books and READ them. Keep one open to the caliber your loading everytime you load. Follow the recipies exactly until you fully understand pressure and its signs. Books are cheaper than eyes. If you smoke. DON'T. If you drink. DON'T. If your in a hurry. DON'T. You bought a set of equipment that will out last your great grand children. Buy quality and you will get it in return. Good luck and good shooting. NOTE: Always wear suspenders when you go to the range. They'll keep pants up from the weight of the brass you put in your pockets.

one of us
posted Hide Post
submoa
To back up Ol' Joe- 2 loading manuals which you read completely
powder scale-I like rcbs
Lee case trimmer is great because it can't get out of adjustment and it is quick with a cordless drill
Dies are tougher-
I don't want to knock Redding I own a few sets but they are pricey and their standard sets tend to work the brass more than necessary.
I just bought and haven't had a chance to try Lee's collet sizing dies in 223 & 308 for my AR &M14 & FNs I do know Lee full length sizers work in all of the above with less working of the brass. The Hornady Custom Grade bullet seater works as well for a lot less money
Get a taper crimp die it improves reliability and seems to improve accuracy.
I just had a look at my 550 toolheads and not 1 rifle set is all the same brand, over time I have mixed and matched different manufacturers best ideas.
I hate having these revelations, it is possible the Type S Match full die set is not that much more than buying multiple sets to mix and match

a tumbler to clean your brass
spray lube
Wilson case length guage(I think Dilon sells them)

A private place with a door and no distractions complete with a solid bench to work on.

You will quickly find out about brass prep tools but that is for later
Guy

Posts: 73 | Location: Edmonton Alberta Canada | Registered: 08 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have to agree with all the other posts that say the first thing you need is a good reloading book.the second thing you need is a good bench that is sturdy and out of the way, somewhere that you can work with no distractions,and when it comes to reloading supplies the choises are endless,send away for catalogs so you can take your time and read about the differant products and what will serve you the best for what you are doing,I dont stick to one mfg,I buy what will work best my bench is coverd with stuff from many differant mfg and they all suit my needs but before you buy anything do some reading first then do your homework on the products you wish to buy and ask lots of questions. good luck and happy reloading

Posts: 262 | Location: pa | Registered: 09 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of RSY
posted Hide Post
I don't know why nobody else has brought this up, but why are you getting a progressive press???

To quote you, you are "completely new to reloading." And, you're loading for a target rifle, not high volume pistol shooting, so get a solid, true single stage press like a Redding or Forster, and that's all you'll ever need.

To me, a progressive press is a specialized piece of equipment, and using them can be frustrating for someone new to the process. You don't want to lose your concentration while loading, especially your first few times.

My $0.02.

Good luck,
RSY

Posts: 785 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 01 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
THESE GUYS HAVE ALL GIVEN YOU GREAT ADVICE AND I'M WITH RSY.START OUT WITH A SINGLE STAGE PRESS UNTILL YOU UNDERSTAND WHAT YOU ARE DOING.ABOUT THE ONLY OTHER THING I WOULD ADD IS GET A LEE AUTOPRIME HAND PRIMER.

THE 2ND AMENDMENT PROTECTS US ALL.........

one of us
posted Hide Post
I agree with RSY about getting the progressive press as the first press. If you get the Dilion use it as a turret press at first. There is too much stuff going on at once for a beginner to figure everything out. As a turret press you go to one station at a time. this will keep the unit simple until you get the hang of reloading. I still do this method when I reload different powder charges for testing small batches of bullets, powder, etc on my Dillon 550.

Posts: 305 | Location: Green Bay, WI | Registered: 09 September 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all the replys - The reason I went with the 550 is because of all the reviews and user comments, plus the fact that I will also be loading .45 & possibly 9mm pistol as well.

So, my question now is what reloading book do you reccomend?

Also, what is the BEST brass to use for the .223 & where do I get it? Due to the 1:8 Twist in the bbl of the Les Baer, for bullets I am leaning towards Sierra 77gr. HPBT Match King. What about primer choice & powder? Basically, I have wasted a lot of time & $$ in the past with "cheap" stuff, so this time I am doing it right and try get the best available. I understand that I will need to work on the load as I develop, but I just want to start at a good point.

Thanks again for the advice.

[ 06-19-2003, 21:20: Message edited by: submoa ]

one of us
Picture of Ol` Joe
posted Hide Post
Submoa, I don`t know that there is a "best" brass. Norma and Lapua are premium in anyones book, but I`ve had good results with Win and Rem in my M70HV. The Books I mentioned above are great. I would sub the Sierra manual for one of them if you plan on useing their bullets. It`s always best to use data from the bullet manufacture when availible. The 1x8 twist you have will work with any bullet wgt, not just the heavier ones My rifle has a 1x9 twist and loves 52gr Sierra HPMK. Try W748 or Varget for loads with 60gr and above bullets. I`ve had the best luck with 748 but, Varget and a couple others(4895,VV N133) work well from what I`ve been told.
Hope this helps

Posts: 2535 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 20 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of RSY
posted Hide Post
You like the Sierra bullet = Get the Sierra manual. It's that easy.

I'd also recommend the Sierra reloading videos with David Tubb. A great resource for beginner-to-intermediate reloaders. After that, they even offer an advanced tape. Definitely worth the $$$.

RSY

Posts: 785 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 01 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You mentioned this was a target rifle so most of your shooting is probably going to be done for
group at the range. If that is the case I'd spend the money and get a set of Wilson neck sizing
knock out dies. You'll still need a full length sizing die since you'll probably encounter someone at the range with good brass who doesn't reload. These will have to be full length sized. Cases fired in your rifle will do best with neck sizing. You won't even need a press for the Wilson dies. A little rawhide mallet will do nicely. You'll have to measure the necks of loaded rounds since Wilson's are bushing dies, and the measurement is required for making the sizing die. If you decide to go with the press Redding makes excellent Benchrest dies. Best wishes.

Cal - Montreal

Posts: 1866 | Location: Montreal, Canada | Registered: 01 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jay Gorski
posted Hide Post
submoa, One thing you WON'T need that ol'Joe mentioned is a case lube pad, I threw mine out, the best case lube is Hornady's Oneshot, they now have new case lube that's non-toxic thats supposed to work like the original but won't smell so nasty, I use Win. brass which has performed well so far, although Lapua is supposed to be the best at $42 per 100, ouch! I use 24.8grs. H335 with Hornadys 52 AMax getting oustanding results in my VS, and will be testing some Benchmark loads tomorrow using 53gr. Hornadys. One thing that I learned with the 223 is when using Hornadys bullets, use Hornadys data, Sierra loads are much higher for the same bullet weight. Good shootin' and reloading, and let us know your results, Jay.

Posts: 1745 | Location: WI. | Registered: 19 May 2003Reply With Quote
<bigcountry>
posted
Well, experience. sorry, know its a bs answer. But no matter how well you prepare, you have alot to learn.

First off, stay away from the progessive for right now. Unless the majority will be for pistol. Presses ain't that much. You can get a good rockchucker for 100 dollars. Then have the best of both worlds. Sometimes progressives can drive a man batty. You can take the setup knowledge you get off a singlestage and put it towards the progressive

Next, I suggest a good trimmer. I am picking up the wilson, since I have had to deal with the POS RCBS for years now.

Next, use some Hornady one minute lube. Screw that RCBS junk. Messy and time consuming.

Good calibers.

And its good to have a beam scale just in case you question your loads from the new digital scale you picked up to make your eyes last years longer.

Now you know all the things I wish I would have done when buying reloading gear.

Have fun

one of us
Picture of Scout Master 54
posted Hide Post
I would also recomend taking the NRA Basic Metalic Cartrige Reloading Course. It's offered by numerous Reloading Instructors across the US, contact the NRA's Training office for an instructor near you. It's a good way to get the "hands on" training you need. The NRA Reloading Hand book is a fantastic starter book and a must for beginners. It can be had through the NRA and from Midway. You will also begin a net work of friends get hand out and data and meet others that can provide input. You'll also get some hands on time with some diffrent equipment too.

As an NRA Reloading Instructor, I recomend getting started on a single stage press first untill you feel more comfortable and have a handle on all the veriables. Progressive presses are for later.

Scout Master 54

Posts: 332 | Location: Western CT | Registered: 10 June 2003Reply With Quote