New
Find
Notify
Tools

Large Rifle Primers in 375 H&H
 Login/Join

<Jon Sabo>
posted
I was wondering if Federal Gold Medal Large Rifle primers could be used in my 375 H&H, instead of the magnum primers I have been using? I have been told that the large rifle primers work just as well unless you are going to be hunting in a cold climate. I will be loading Win. 760 powder and using Hornady 300 gr. RN and FMJ bullets. Any thoughts on the matter would be appreciated.

Jon Sabo

<eldeguello>
posted
YES!! I loaded the .375 H&H for at least 10 years before there were any such things as magnum primers!! But, if you use WW760, and will shoot in real cold weather, magnum primers are definitely "recommended"!! But I don't think your gun will blow up if you use the regular primers.

<Rusty>
posted
Federal Magnum Bench Rest Primers!

one of us
Picture of jpb
posted Hide Post
In my experience, there are few rules regarding primers... you might have to try both regular and magnum primers and see which one gives better accuracy.

However, if the loads will be used below freezing, or with ball powders like Win 760, go for the magnum primers. I've found that magnum primers gave better accuracy and less variation in velocity among shots even in calibres as small as .270 Winchester when I was using Win760, and this was true all the way up to my .375 H&H.

Oddly enough, I've found magnum primers also best by far with even my plinking loads in my .375 H&H: light charges of Red Dot for 1400fps with a 255 gr cast bullet. The Lyman manual recommends regular primers for these Red Dot loads, but my experience is quite different.

YMMV

jpb

Posts: 1006 | Location: northern Sweden | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I think that you will find that the biggest difference in "standard" primers and "magnum" primers is the label and the price.

For years, I have used "standard" primers in most everything, including large capacity magnums (.375 H & H among them). I have also used the standards with every type of powder, including very slow ball powders. In fact, my load with the .375 uses H-414, the clone of WW 760.

I have never had any problem with standards (nor with "magnums" for that matter). While I don't usually have occasion to shoot in extremely cold weather, I know that down in the 20's is not a problem with either primer.

I recommend that you use (1) whatever primers you have, and (2) among those primers, whatever shoots best.

Posts: 13245 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote