THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Reloading    Hornady load recipe seems the opposite of what it should be

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Hornady load recipe seems the opposite of what it should be
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Hi all,

I was looking through my Hornady Reloading Manual at load recipes for 200 GR and 230 GR bullets. Using Winchester 231 powder, the charge weight recommendations were lower for the heavier bullet. I am trying to understand why, because to me it would seem that you would need more powder to propel a heavier projectile rather than less. Could someone please explain why this is the case?

Thanks,
Steve

One of Us
Picture of Sam
posted Hide Post
Heavier bulles are longer and take up space in the case. This space reduces volume in the case. This reduction in volume raises pressure.

A bad day at the range is better than a good day at work.

Posts: 1254 | Location: Norfolk, Va | Registered: 27 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
Sam, you're reading his post wrong. He's saying that Hornady says that the maximum load for the lighter bullet is lower than for the heavier bullet.

PaseMkr,

I've seen this in a number of manuals and loads. Somewhere in the combination of components that they are using they got high pressure signs with the lighter bullets that made them stop there.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12607 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sam's got this one right. The OP said, "...the charge weight recommendations were lower for the heavier bullet."

It's not just the reduction in available case volume, but the heavier bullet provides more resistance to being moved, also increasing pressure.

Jon Larsson - Hunter - Shooter - Reloader - Mostly in that order...Wink

Posts: 682 | Location: Western Montana | Registered: 24 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PaseMkr:
Hi all,

I was looking through my Hornady Reloading Manual at load recipes for 200 GR and 230 GR bullets. Using Winchester 231 powder, the charge weight recommendations were lower for the heavier bullet. I am trying to understand why, because to me it would seem that you would need more powder to propel a heavier projectile rather than less. Could someone please explain why this is the case?

Roll EyesI'm not trying to be mean or nasty but before you do anymore loading you should get a better understanding of what you are dealing with. In the same rifle ,if you truly have a maximum load for a 200 grain bullet the same load behind a 220 grain bullet is more than likely to be over Max. and could give you a problem. Time for some reading and educational discussion to achieve a working understanding. beerroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted Hide Post
quote:
Roll EyesI'm not trying to be mean or nasty but before you do anymore loading you should get a better understanding of what you are dealing with. In the same rifle ,if you truly have a maximum load for a 200 grain bullet the same load behind a 220 grain bullet is more than likely to be over Max. and could give you a problem. Time for some reading and educational discussion to achieve a working understanding. beerroger

Amen brother tu2.

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
Amen again. Good Friday does not mean that YOU will rise again on Easter Sunday!

Please get a Lyman manual and read the early chapters 3 times. Do not do ANY reloading until you understand the relationship between bullet weight, case capacity, powder charge, velocity and pressure in YOUR gun.

quote:
Originally posted by Alberta Canuck:
quote:

Amen brother tu2.

"When the wind stops....start rowing. When the wind starts, get the sail up quick."

Posts: 11023 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
OK, I'm an idiot. The fact that less powder is used for heavier bullets is so basic to me that I read it wrong.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12607 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Read the first 5 chapters of the Lyman Reloading Manual. Thanks for the suggestions and information. I already had an idea of why heavier bullet recipes used lower charge weights, but just wanted confirmation, which Sam, Frank and JLarsson were kind enough to confirm. The first 5 chapters in the Lyman Manual didn't really focus very much on the "relationship between bullet weight, case capacity, powder charge, velocity and pressure." It seemed to spend more time covering the steps of reloading and the reason for each step. Thanks for your help everyone! I think that as long as I do not deviate from the recipes in the Reloading Manuals, by using the recommended powder and charge weight along with the recommended primers and bullet, I should remain okay.

Thanks,
Steve

One of Us
Picture of Hunt-ducks
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bartsche:
quote:
Hi all,

Pasemakr best reread this post because if you undestand it that way you need a few more books like the ABC's of reloading, that or your pacemaker going to get a jolt.

Posts: 450 | Location: CA. | Registered: 15 May 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hunt-ducks:
quote:
Originally posted by bartsche:
quote:
Hi all,

Pasemakr best reread this post because if you undestand it that way you need a few more books like the ABC's of reloading, that or your pacemaker going to get a jolt.

?

Thanks,
Steve

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Things started to get a little smart-a$$ed with that last post but what the previous posters said, is spot on. First, read the reloading theory and application parts of the reloading manual, not just the techniques and loads. One of the most basic properties of reloading is that, powder does not push a bullet down a barrel, expanding gasses from burning powder do. In any given cartridge and firearm, the is only so much pressure you can load up to before things become dangerous to both the firearm and the shooter, VERY DANGEROUS. The basic premise behind what you ask is, A heavier bullet is harder to push down a barrel, so when propelled by the same amount of the same powder, the bullet moves more slowly and pressure builds to a higher point. If that load was at or near maximum pressure already, you run a good chance of being over pressure with a heavier bullet. In addition to that, the heavier bullet is likely longer than the lighter one, which, when loaded to the same overall length, goes deeper into the case. This restricts the internal volume which increases pressure as well. So as a rule, when the same case, primer and powder are used, a heavier bullet takes less powder to achieve the same maximum pressure level. consequently, it has a lower muzzle velocity. This is only one consideration when figuring out was is possible and safe when reloading. That is why the recommendations to read a manual fully are warranted. It sounds like you have not done so. If you do not understand this principle as well as others descibed in the manuals, it is probably not a good idea for you to be reloading. You can hurt yourself and others quite badly if you do the wrong things and some of the concepts that your manual will descibe are not what you might think would be the case. Such as,sometimes, less powder in a case can result in pressure going TOO HIGH! Now, go look up why that happens and please do not load any ammunition until you know ALL the facts involved. Be SAFE and best of luck.

Cheers,
Jason

But what do I know?

Posts: 62 | Location: Missouri, U.S.A. | Registered: 23 December 2008Reply With Quote