THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

How To ??? Form 8mm Mauser Brass for 30-06?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I know it's possible to form 30-06 brass from 8mm Mauser. What's the process? Walk me through?

one of us
posted Hide Post
I assume you mean turning 7.62x63 (30-06) into 7.92x57 (8mm Mauser), not the other way around like you stated.

When I did 7.7 Arasaka (7.7x58) from 30-06, I'd rough trim, than push back the shoulders 1/4-1/2 turn at a time (this isn't bad, if you run them all through at each setting) until the bolt would just close under medium pressure, than final trim and go.

I didn't anneal any of them, perhaps the resizing would have gone easier if I had???

Posts: 2124 | Location: Whittemore, MI, USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
In case you were serious about 8mm to 30-06, don't bother trying. 8MM is too short by a good margin. If you were really bored and needed a truly useless project you could form 308 Win from 8MM.

"Experience" is the only class you take where the exam comes before the lesson.

Posts: 11137 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've formed lots of 8x57 from .30-06, assuming this is the conversion you're asking about. Simply run them through the FL 8mm die and trim & chamfer.

It's as simple as that, and I've never exprienced any difficulties. The only precaution is to keep the amount of lubricant as sparing as possible in that excessive lubricant will dent the shoulders. Even this is not the end of the world in that the dents iron out quite nicely on the first firing, anyway.

Posts: 13235 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Stonecreek:
I've formed lots of 8x57 from .30-06, assuming this is the conversion you're asking about. Simply run them through the FL 8mm die and trim.

It's as simple as that, and I've never exprienced any difficulties. The only precaution is to keep the amount of lubricant as sparing as possible in that excessive lubricant will dent the shoulders. Even this is not the end of the world in that the dents iron out quite nicely on the first firing, anyway.

thumb thumbUse a thin film of Bardahl on the case.If you are doing a lot and you get lube build up take a cotton swap and run it inside the die.I would not have the expander in the die untill the cases are trimmed to length. Winkroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of El Deguello
posted Hide Post
quote:
I know it's possible to form 30-06 brass from 8mm Mauser. What's the process? Walk me through?

No it ain't possible-8mm Mauser cases are 57mm long-.30/'06 cases are 63mm long-you cain't "cut 'em off a little longer"!

"Bitte, trinks du nicht das Wasser. Dahin haben die Kuhen gesheissen."

Posts: 4386 | Location: New Woodstock, Madison County, Central NY | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by El Deguello:
quote:

No it ain't possible-8mm Mauser cases are 57mm long-.30/'06 cases are 63mm long-you cain't "cut 'em off a little longer"!

I must admitt El D you have a marvelous grasp of the obvious. dancingroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
When I make 8mm from 30-06 I run them through a trim dye first and file to length then run thruogh a full length dye. I bought the trim dye way back when they were cheaper.

Rad

NRA Benefactor Member

Posts: 344 | Location: Bean Town in the worthless nut state | Registered: 23 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill Mc
posted Hide Post
bewildered Why?

It's not like either is scarce.

Back to the still.

Spelling, I don't need no stinkin spelling

The older I get, the better I was.

Posts: 1450 | Location: North Georgia | Registered: 16 December 2001Reply With Quote