THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Necking down a 338 Lapua to 30 with no die yet?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I need to neck these down to 30, problem is Neil Jones is on vacation starting in March and will be gone for a month. I won't get my die until the first week in April and I want to load these up and get them formed at least. I need to seat the bullets and get them necked down. Any resourcefull ideas you might have, from mild to wild might just help. I'll never be able to wait for April.

Thanks

[ 02-20-2003, 07:32: Message edited by: Brent Moffitt ]

Posts: 913 | Location: Palmer, Alaska | Registered: 15 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Try a 30-378 WM seating die with the seating plug removed?

Posts: 221 | Location: Back in Alaska where I belong | Registered: 22 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I don't suppose you have any other .308 dies with a case wide enough to allow the neck to be sized down?

Are you willing to buy something of an intermediate nature? If so, there may be some forming dies available elsewhere. I'm at home and don't have the link handy but that CH4D company has a wide array of dies including forming dies.

The only other thing I can think of without metal cutting would be to see if the bushing die companies have any die body wide enough to accept that case. You could then step it down but it would probably require several bushings and is therefore cost ineffective.

If you have a lathe available to you you could buy a die and open it up enough to allow the neck to be sized down. I know there's some sort of die body blank sold in the BR circles that could be opened up ideally with a reamer.

With some checking into case dimensions you may be able to find a 30-378 or something that would allow the neck to be sized down. I know on my 308 Norma I just use a NK die to size down 338 Win cases to .308 caliber necks.

That's about the limit of my brainstorming.

Good luck.

Reed

Posts: 649 | Location: Iowa | Registered: 29 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey thanks guys,

The 338 Lapua is about .200" shorter than the 30/378 so I could have my smith mill the die mouth down enough. Good idea!

Now to find one for cheap, this will be the problem. I't will be a tight neck chamber, .333nk so it won't be used after this.

I'll look into the CH-4D stuff and see if they have what I need all ready to go.

I do have extra 308win dies but I'm not sure which would be easier to make work, I know which one is initially cheaper. [Smile]

Do you smiths out there think opening up the 308win would be doable enough?

I appreciate all your suggestions.

Posts: 913 | Location: Palmer, Alaska | Registered: 15 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Brent,

I just noticed a classified for 30/378 dies for sale and thought of you. Here's the link: http://www.serveroptions.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=15;t=004283

Good luck,

Reed

one of us
posted Hide Post
Isn't a wildcat 30/338 Lapua the same thing as a .300 RUM? Would those dies work?

Administrator
posted Hide Post
BECoole,

Welcome to the forum.

The 300 RUM and the 30-338 Lapua have different diameters.

Posts: 67465 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The RUM's based on the 404 Jeffery case if memory serves while the Lapua case (338) is based on the 416 Rigby.

Reed