New
Find
Notify
Tools

BL-C2 powder is it temp sensitive for pressure
 Login/Join

<Rick in Pa>
posted
We started working with my sons hunting load for his 700 ADL in 308. when loads were tested last year the temp was in the low 50's. when shooting the other night the temp was in the
upper 70's.

Is this powder that sensitive?

Thanks
Rick

one of us
posted Hide Post
I use Blc2 in a 6mm for varmints. I have tested it between 65 and 100 F and have not had much (less than 60 fps) variation. I have yet to try my loads in winter.
By the way, this gun has a 27" bbl.

[This message has been edited by DaveC (edited 09-27-2001).]

Posts: 694 | Location: Des Moines, Iowa, USA | Registered: 09 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Few, if any, of todays modern powders are heat sensitive enough to cause sure nuff serious problems, if you load within reason.

The only drawback to BLC2 is that it blows out a huge ball of fire and additional blast in most calibers, something that never really bothered me, but it has some folks.

------------------
Ray Atkinson

ray@atkinsonhunting.com
atkinsonhunting.com

Posts: 41881 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
<Paul Dustin>
posted
I would have to agree with Ray on most powder. The only powder I know that is heat sensitive is WW296 If you shoot in the cool or cold weather you need to test it them. With my 44Mag I tested loads at mid. 70 that winter I tested them again at 29 Degrees and I lost 110fps with the same load and same lot of powder. This is the only powder of all The powders I have tested in hot and cold that changes more then 20 to 40fps
Now with a max load you will need to note the temp you loaded it at if you are going from hot summer to cold winter