New
Find
Notify
Tools

CCI300 vs. Win LP
 Login/Join

posted
Evening all,

I am in the process of converting my RL550B over to .44 Mag from .45ACP. I have a few hundred Winchester large pistol primers still left over from my 45 reloading. Thing is all the reload suggestions/recipes I have uncovered for my 44 Mag all call for CCI 300 primers. Do I really need to use the CCI or can I use these Winchester primers. I am going to use Alliants 2400 powder with some 240gr XTP's I just bought. Its just that the weekend is coming and I have everything I need if I can use the WLP's. If not I'll most likely have to hit the web for the primers since nobody around here has any CCI's in stock. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks and have a nice night.

Sid

Posts: 1 | Location: SW VA | Registered: 17 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The WLP is a little hotter than than the CCI 300, but use what you have. If you're shooting for accuracy, any difference will show up in load development. For max loads, you may want to work up for safety's sake.

one of us
Picture of redial
posted Hide Post
Sid, they'll do just fine - load away!

Mark

"Greatness without Grace is mere Vanity" - Hank the Cowdog

Posts: 1121 | Location: Florence, MT USA | Registered: 30 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I don't load for 44Mag, but I have used both the CCI300 and WLP primers in other cartridges and couldn't tell the difference.

Dennis
Life member NRA

Posts: 1191 | Location: Ft. Morgan, CO | Registered: 15 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
For the .44 Mag, I use the WLP exclusively. For powder I'm using H110 for magnum loads with jacketed bullets and Unique for cast lead.

If you're using data from a reloading manual and it call for the CCI primer, just work up to the max slowly when using the WLP. I wound up stopping 2 gr. below book max for my H110 loads. They were plenty hot enough for me and my S&W 629.

Posts: 306 | Location: Originally from Texas | Registered: 17 March 2001Reply With Quote