New
Find
Notify
Tools

How much brass
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Just for conversation sake how much brass does one need.

For my regularly shot handguns I like a minimum of a thousand rounds several thousand even better.

Revolvers need less because one loses less semi autos it seems I loses about 10 percent when shooting out doors.

For my rifles I like 300 rounds as a minimum for the ones I shoot more a thousand. For the ones I shoot a lot 5000 or more might not be enough.

Question:
How much brass to you like to have on hand for each caliber.

Choices:
100 per
500 per
1000 per
5000 per
there is never enough

Question:
per hand gun

Choices:
100 per
500 per
1000 per
5000 per
theres never enough

Question:
During the last run on supplies

Choices:
I had enough and didn't worry
I was force to buy at the high prices
I sold some and made money
I decided to wait it out.

Posts: 19583 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sorry, I'm not playing. Noone needs to know how much I think is adequate or how much I have or don't have.

Posts: 1991 | Location: Sinton, TX | Registered: 16 June 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Texas Killartist:
Sorry, I'm not playing. Noone needs to know how much I think is adequate or how much I have or don't have.

+1
Every once in a while them texicans get it right. Smiler

Aim for the exit hole

Posts: 4348 | Location: middle tenn | Registered: 09 December 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
That's like asking "How much gasoline do I need for my car?" Well, it depends both on how much gas your car uses and how many miles you intend to drive it.

For the once-a-year elk rifle, a couple of boxes of 20 is ample. After all, you're only going to shoot well under a dozen in checking your zero, leaving you a box and a half for hunting season. In all likelihood, you'll shoot from none to five rounds all season. I personally like to have a bit more, but I've know elk hunters who've had a single box last them close to a decade and have killed an elk or two every year.

If you're talking about a prairie dog gun which might see 200 or more rounds through it a day, then obviously two boxes of brass ain't enough. But I usually take and shoot several prairie dog guns on a hunt, so none of them needs more than 100 rounds or so.

Informal handgun shooting is another breed of cat. Some people I run across just like to hear the gun go "bang", so the sky is the limit.

So, you'll have to answer the question of how you use the gun before you can ask the question of how much brass do you need.

Posts: 13245 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
For me...it depends on when Texas secede's from the Union. I'll need to stock just before. But...I am ready to go anytime! Cool

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 37821 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Texas Killartist:

If your worried about being on a list just being a member here puts you on it.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ledvm:
For me...it depends on when Texas secede's from the Union. I'll need to stock just before. But...I am ready to go anytime! Cool

well since the UN is gonna be taking over the Alamo pretty soon you'd better be stocking up.

It depends on what the rifle is used for.
I generally keep 300 pieces of brass for each hunting rifle, and around 1500 for each handgun caliber.
some way more and some I only have 1-200 pieces.
but i'd say those are average numbers.

Posts: 5001 | Location: soda springs,id | Registered: 02 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of PaulS
posted Hide Post
I think a three year supply for loaded ammo and the same number of brass and components (limited as per laws) is all anyone needs. How much that is depends on how much you shoot.

Speer, Sierra, Lyman, Hornady, Hodgdon have reliable reloading data. You won't find it on so and so's web page.

Posts: 639 | Location: SE WA.  | Registered: 05 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

Thing is, your question has no earthly purpose except to whine or brag.

Posts: 1615 | Location: South Western North Carolina | Registered: 16 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lamar:
quote:
Originally posted by ledvm:

well since the UN is gonna be taking over the Alamo pretty soon you'd better be stocking up.

When the Texas Rangers relinquish control of the Alamo...we better all be worried and stocked up!

That will be one of the last things to fall before things REALLY get bad.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 37821 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted Hide Post
Well, I lied a little bit in my answers.

I chose 100 pieces as my answer for the rifle/shotshell cartridges. What I do is try to keep about 300 loaded rounds on hand for each and every "cartridge chamber designation" that I have a gun for. For some rifles, I allow that to get down to as little as 250 once in a while, but not often. For a few others I may have as many as 1,000 loaded rounds or more on hand.

None of that is because I am a survivalist or doomsday prepper. I am not either one of those. It is just that I have watched prices over the last 60-70 years, and have never seen them go down for any meaningful period of time. And I've seen a lot of various chamberings disappear from the local market entirely. So I buy 300 when I buy each new (to me) chambering of long gun because that will prob ably be about as chap as it will ever be, and it is available.

So, when I get a new chambering of gun, either rifle or pistol, I always buy 300 rounds of brass at the same time and load at least 100 of it immediately. That way when I want to go to the range or on a hunt, I always have some usable ammo on hand.

For my BR match rifles, sometimes I wear a barrel completely out with as little as 5 rounds of brass, so I usually start out with about that number, but a couple of thousand rounds down the tube, I may still have one or two unfired cases left.

For my .44 Mag Redhawk, which is my big game hunting pistol, I load up a batch of 1,000 rounds about every 5-7 years.

So I kind of looked for rifle categories that said "0-100, or 100-300, or more than 300, depending on use".

My country gal's just a moonshiner's daughter, but I love her still.

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jim C. <><:
quote:

If one just answers the poll questions and does not post a reply no one but your self knows who it is.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by p dog shooter:
quote:
Originally posted by Jim C. <><:
quote:

If one just answers the poll questions and does not post a reply no one but your self knows who it is.

Even for "conversation" it's a dumm question and you did it in public; I respond in kind.

Posts: 1615 | Location: South Western North Carolina | Registered: 16 September 2005Reply With Quote