Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

reloading for winchester 1886 40.65
 Login/Join

posted
I recently acquired a winchester 1886 40.65 lever action. I am interested in reloading for this rifle. Does anyone know where I can locate a source for bullets? Should I use lead cast or jacketed bullets? Any advice you can provide would be appreciated!

Posts: 10 | Location: utah | Registered: 12 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have always been told to use Cast bullets with older guns that were designed for cast. I have been told that the mettle back then was softer than the mettle today and that jacketed bullets would wear the bore more.

I have never heeded that advice and have shot 100 or so round of jacketed 405gr bullets over the course of 15 years through my trapdoor with no issue.

posted Hide Post
Thanks for the advice. I will look into using jacketed bullets.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I assume that mean that you will not be shooting a lot of ammo through this gun?

Because if you are going to shoot a lot of ammo through that gun I would definatly go with the cast..

BTW, look at www.midsouthshooterssupply.com for your lead bullets.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Timbercruiser,

Depending on when that rifle was made needs to determine what kind of loads you can use in it. The 40-65 first came out in 1887, which was still back in the black powder days. It wasn't until Winchester come out with their "nickel steel" for their barrels that increases in velocity were obtained. You need to know when that rifle was manufactured to really determine what you can do with it. IMO cast boolits are the only way to go. Love them 86's

Posts: 1018 | Location: Lafourche Parish, La. | Registered: 24 October 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Appreciate the advice, I will check out the cast bullet reference. I will not be shooting much through this rifle, and I do not want to compromise the condition of the rifling.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I for one, am very very envious of that rifle!

Congrats, that is on the top of my wish list in life for a rifle!

Not many around and when found cost a fortune usually.

Cheers and Happy Holidays
seafire

Posts: 2889 | Location: Southern OREGON | Registered: 27 May 2003Reply With Quote