Find
Notify
Tools

.348 WCF and 200 grs. SP
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Big Bore Fan
posted
I should reload same rounds of .348 WCF for a customer. Factory ammunition isn´t available here in Germany and so he asked me, if I can reload this round. I have a few reloading datas in same books, but only with US powders. My experience isn´t very good with the US brands, I´m only using propelants from Norma, Rottweil or Vitha.
So, what´s the best powder for the 200grs Hornady SP? I asked my powder dealer and he means, IMR isn´t a great problem to get.
Thanks for help.

Martin

Posts: 824 | Location: Munich, Bavaria, thats near Germany | Registered: 23 November 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
One of the most powerful rimmed cartridges utilized in a lever gun, the 348 Winchester delivers animal crushing power at the moderate ranges to which it is well suited. The equally famous model 71 was not only a modernized version of the old 1886(a famous rifle in its own right) it was well made. If there is a bad word to be said about it, it is that it's heavy.

I like IMR 4350 and have used RL19 also, but I shoot 250 grain bullets, not 200s. 57.5grains of IMR 4350 and Hornady's 200 grain bullet should net about 2300f/s. VihtaVuori's N-160 is close to IMR 4350 in burning rate, thus it would be a good powder to experiment with, and Quickload says 57.5 grains of N-160 should net you 2247f/s. At approximately 28,412psi, this load should produce about 2240 ft-lbs of energy.

One of Us
Picture of Big Bore Fan
posted Hide Post
Thank you buckshot,
the IMR 4350 was also my first idea. One importend point is, I can use it also for my 7x57 and a few others.
I will order one this days.
The bullet question was easy, in Germany the only paiable bullet is the 200grs from Hornady, 100 bullets for 45.-€. The Barnes bullets are too expensive, 50 bullets for 65.-€. The customer will kill me, if I order this brand. Eeker

Martin

Posts: 824 | Location: Munich, Bavaria, thats near Germany | Registered: 23 November 2003Reply With Quote