THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

.44 Mag reloading questions..........HELP!!!
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Hey Guys,
I just got in my Ruger 77/44 Integrally SUPPRESSED rifle in, and am going to work up some subsonic loads for it. It has a 14" barrel, with ports starting around 7" down.........18" OAL with suppressor. Here are my 3 questions:

1. I bought NEW brass, not primed. Do I need to resize them first?

2. What is the difference in .429 vs. .430 bullets, and can I shoot either?

3. The 240gr bullets will be subsonic (I'm shooting for around 1050fps) if I load down, but I thought I would do the 300gr bullets and load them up to 1050fps.........but, when ordering them, next to the 300gr bullets was a line that read "for pistols only".......reason?

Since these will be shot out of a suppressor, I need them to be stable.........

let me know your thoughts
thx
Jordan

You only live ONCE!!!!!!!!!! So LIVE it UP!!!!!!!!

Posts: 295 | Location: houston, TX USA | Registered: 10 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
first q yes you do to get correct neck tension on the cases.
q=2 if they are jacketed nothing really if the bbl has enough rifling to grip the bullets jacket.
3 the reason for the pistol only moniker is so they won't tear up on impact or rip the jacket while in the bbl especially if they are plated.
if plated you will cut up the plating by obdurating the soft lead in the bbl.
if your twist rate is slow like 1-38 the heavier bullets may not stabilize at lower velocities. but worth a try if it is 1-20 which i think the ruger has.

Posts: 5001 | Location: soda springs,id | Registered: 02 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Better check the OAL on the 300 gr. rounds. The Ruger magazine may be a limitation.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Thx for the great info.......

quote:
Originally posted by Lamar:
first q yes you do to get correct neck tension on the cases.
q=2 if they are jacketed nothing really if the bbl has enough rifling to grip the bullets jacket.
3 the reason for the pistol only moniker is so they won't tear up on impact or rip the jacket while in the bbl especially if they are plated.
if plated you will cut up the plating by obdurating the soft lead in the bbl.
if your twist rate is slow like 1-38 the heavier bullets may not stabilize at lower velocities. but worth a try if it is 1-20 which i think the ruger has.

Posts: 295 | Location: houston, TX USA | Registered: 10 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Never would have thought of that.........

quote:
Originally posted by Winchester 69:
Better check the OAL on the 300 gr. rounds. The Ruger magazine may be a limitation.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Anyone else........before I start loading up.....???

one of us
posted Hide Post
captjordan

A suppressed 44 Mag rifle sounds like a very good rifle.

I would not shoot lead bullets in a suppressor.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of muzza
posted Hide Post
I shoot Hornady 240 gr XTP's out of my suppressed Rossi Pomba. It likes them , I have a lot of them , its quiet and they work well at 1000 fps .

Having said that , 100 metres is about the outside limit for comfortable range .

Old enough to know better

Posts: 4471 | Location: Eltham , New Zealand | Registered: 13 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by captjordan:

quote:

I have the lever gun that uses the same magazine.

You might try loading the 300 gr. in a 44 spl case. If you can get your velocity, ....

One of Us
Picture of GunCat
posted Hide Post
My 77/44 will take the Hornady 300 grain XTP bullet with no problems when seated to the top cannelure (the shorter OAL)

Steve Rose
----------
Rose Action Sports, LLC
www.roseactionsports.com

Posts: 189 | Location: Western Kentucky | Registered: 02 November 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I would not use lead thru a suppressor.
I have done it but it is hard to clean up after, and it is not like my other firearms that I have a tendency not to clean after shooting.
If you use lead you HAVE to clean after shooting..

NRA Life member

Posts: 142 | Location: Indiana | Registered: 18 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
Resize the case first but remove the decapping pin since the brass is already primed.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12713 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
captjordan

Be advised regards your target velocity of 1050 fps. It is the speed of the air moving around the bullets nose that causes it the ballistically crack. You've a large caliber projectile and the blunter the nose (SWC, TC with large meplat, RNs, etc) the slower the bullet must go to keep the air from exceeding the speed of sound and "cracking". Envision a bullet traveling at 1050 fps. Then consider how much faster the air has to travel from the nose over the ogive to the shoulder. The air following the ogive has farther to travel during the distance the bullet travels from the shoulder to the tip of the bullet. In other words the longer the ogive the slower the bulllets velocity must be to keep the air following the ogive from breaking the speed of sound.

I mention this from experience with like calibers and projectiles in suppressed firearms.

Larry Gibson

Posts: 1489 | Location: University Place, WA | Registered: 18 October 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Larry,
Very interesting. I'm a pilot, and never thought of that one.....much like a planes' wing surface. Would you say 1000-1020 fps would be good enough to keep me below the 1080-1100 magic number?

quote:
Originally posted by Larry Gibson:
captjordan

Be advised regards your target velocity of 1050 fps. It is the speed of the air moving around the bullets nose that causes it the ballistically crack. You've a large caliber projectile and the blunter the nose (SWC, TC with large meplat, RNs, etc) the slower the bullet must go to keep the air from exceeding the speed of sound and "cracking". Envision a bullet traveling at 1050 fps. Then consider how much faster the air has to travel from the nose over the ogive to the shoulder. The air following the ogive has farther to travel during the distance the bullet travels from the shoulder to the tip of the bullet. In other words the longer the ogive the slower the bulllets velocity must be to keep the air following the ogive from breaking the speed of sound.

I mention this from experience with like calibers and projectiles in suppressed firearms.

Larry Gibson

one of us
posted Hide Post
Why is sizing important on NEW brass.......don't they come out of dies? It is not primed yet.
J

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GunCat:
My 77/44 will take the Hornady 300 grain XTP bullet with no problems when seated to the top cannelure (the shorter OAL)

Guncat,
Can you send me your load info......powder type, charge, and OAL.........
thx
jordan

PS Are you shooting suppressed?

one of us
posted Hide Post
Just bought a few .44spl cases to try this out too......thx for the suggestion.
J

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by captjordan:

quote:

I have the lever gun that uses the same magazine.

You might try loading the 300 gr. in a 44 spl case. If you can get your velocity, ....

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a box of the XTPs, do you find they "open up" on soft skinned game? Is 1000fps fast enough to open them up?
J

quote:
Originally posted by muzza:
I shoot Hornady 240 gr XTP's out of my suppressed Rossi Pomba. It likes them , I have a lot of them , its quiet and they work well at 1000 fps .

Having said that , 100 metres is about the outside limit for comfortable range .

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Captjordan, seems to me that you have developed a specialty rifle for short range hunting and now you want a bullet that will expand @ 1000 FPS or less.

You have re-created the type of velocity and bullet weights used in the 1880's or so. I think your solution will also be from that era.

I suggest that you investigate the use of pure lead bullets that are paper patched. No lead or lubricant will touch your bore, only paper. Here is a link to a cast bullet site that specializes in paper patching. A 300 to 350 gr lead hollow point should work.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/forumdisplay.php?f=38

Hope the info helps

Posts: 83 | Location: Saudi/Bahrain/Texas | Registered: 21 May 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Okay guys,
On vacation and working like mad.....back to this project. I just checked the barrel twist and once got 1:19 and the second try got 1:20....so, the 300 grainers should be okay in this one?? I don't want to have a baffle strike. Just trying to make certain.

Also,
Do ya'll think the 240gr XTP's will open up (expand) on impact in soft tissue at 900-1000fps?

And does anyone have approximate load data for getting around 1000fps out of the:

240gr XTP's
and
300gr XTP's

for around a 14" barrel with ports drilled in it around the 6" area....

I need a starting point for:

*Powder Type(prefferably clean burning/and accurate)
*Powder charge in grains
*Bullet Type and weight
*OAL

thx
Jordan

one of us
posted Hide Post
I do not recommend shooting paper patched bullets in ANY suppressor.

If it has holes in the barrel it will cut of pieces of paper.

Also after it leaves the barrel proper the paper might strip off the bullet and cause an obstruction for the next shot.

Personally, I would ONLY shoot jacketed bullets in a suppressed gun, the exception being a 22 LR of course.

Think about it, most guns with a gas port in the barrel do not recommend using lead bullets.

A supressed gun, with holes in the barrel has many holes in it....

one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm NOT going to shoot patched bullets through it obviously. I am shooting XTP's, which ARE jacketed bullets.

1. Do ya think they will "open up" at 900-1000fps?

2. Do ya'll think the 1:20 twist will stabilize a 300gr bullet?

one of us
posted Hide Post
And..........do you all think crimping is required?

one of us
posted Hide Post
I would recommend you crimp.

If I wanted a 44Mag jacketed bullet to oen up at 1000fps or under I would take a look at the Remington 240gr SJHP as it has a lot of lead exposed.

I think a 1 in 20 twist should shoot 300gr bullets, but you will have to give them a try to know for sure.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Looking at Hornadys info they show that their 180 and 200gr XTP bullets expand starting at @750fps, compared to the 240's at 900fps and the 300gr XTP at 850fps.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
ALWAYS crimp 44 mag bullets.
It aids in powder ignition and accuracy. It keeps the bullets from jumping in the cases.

Posts: 1135 | Location: corpus, TX | Registered: 02 June 2009Reply With Quote