Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

CCI 400 vs CCI 41 Primers for AR15
 Login/Join

posted
I'm trying to decide which primer is best for an AR15. My biggest concern is slam fires. Deciding between CCI 400 and CCI 41. Thanks for the input.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The CCI 41 is specifically made for use in military style semi-autos with a harder cup to avoid slam-fires. That being said, I've fired hundreds of rounds primed with 400s with no problems, in both 5.56 and 6.8. My 458 socom uses CCI 350s, a softer pistol primer, without issue.

Now days I do primarily use the 41s in ARs just to be on the safe side, the same reason I put a light crimp with a Lee FCD.

"For they have sown the wind, and they shall reap the whirlwind..."
Hosea 8:7

Posts: 579 | Location: Texas | Registered: 07 January 2015Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
I've used basic small rifle primers for years in my AR15. Never had a slam fire.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of lee440
posted Hide Post
I have used Rem 7-1/2's for the last 30 years or so with no problems and if I were a betting man, I would say they are as soft as they come. They are copper colored primers and allow me to sort crimped from swaged primer pockets when reloading. I really only learned years later about the CCI military primers when I started loading for my M-1A and saw pictures of the results of a slam fire. I would not hesitate to use the regular CCI's, but the 41 is sure cheap insurance!

DRSS(We Band of Bubba's Div.)
N.R.A (Life)
T.S.R.A (Life)
D.S.C.

Posts: 2271 | Location: Texas | Registered: 18 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Sam
posted Hide Post
I've shot a couple thousand CCI400's in AR-15's. They are not ideal but work well. The problem is they have a thin cup and crater around the firing pin. If the primers pierce the will damage the firing pin and possibly the bolt. My primers flatten due to the thin cup and crater. The only true answer is that if you have a thicker primer go with it but if the CCI400 is all you have than use it. I've also used CCI450's and Wolf Magnums.

A bad day at the range is better than a good day at work.

Posts: 1254 | Location: Norfolk, Va | Registered: 27 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 243winxb
posted Hide Post
CCI 41 or Magnum primer.

Posts: 1295 | Location: USA | Registered: 21 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Remington and winchester ran Lake City Army ammunition plant for over 60 years before the No.41 and 34 primers were invented.

And the Remington 7 1/2 primer was all that was used when Remington ran Lake City from 1941 until 1982.

It is recommended that you use primers with a cup thickness of.025 to help prevent slamfires.