THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Reloading    Why clean a gun I can not see the difference in how it shoots

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Why clean a gun I can not see the difference in how it shoots
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
My guns shoot 40 and 50's and I don' spend much time cleaning them I never cleaned my deer guns , can't see the diference . shot a 35 the other day on the 65 shot . so what is the diff. I think people make a life time of cleaning guns its a hobby.something to talk about. worry about .
any comments?

one of us
posted Hide Post
It all depends on the gun I have a 223 that well go hundreds of rounds with out seeing a material differants.

Then I have a 243 that the groups go out from the .3 to over 2 inchs at right around 40 rounds.

Some people clean way to much others clean way to little. I try and find a happy medium depending on use.

Posts: 19583 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One Of Us
Picture of new_guy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bill r:
I think people make a life time of cleaning guns its a hobby.something to talk about. worry about .
any comments?

It all depends on what you want the gun to look like at the end of that lifetime.

Case in point, ask the dentist if you REALLY HAVE to floss you're teeth... he says "only the ones you want to keep."

www.heymusa.com

HSC Booth # 306
SCI Booth # 3947

one of us
posted Hide Post
I agree with the others. For some guns it helps, for some it hurts accuracy. Time and some record keeping will tell.

-Lou

Posts: 333 | Location: Dallas, TX, USA | Registered: 15 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of papaschmud
posted Hide Post
For me, the better the barrel and slower the speed the less I need to clean. Bullet composition also matters a lot too.

I have been bitten though, once in the past, by a super accurate .308 that just quit shooting due to a buildup of carbon after the throat. Now I try to keep everything maintained and my results are not only better but more predictable.

Gabe

Posts: 410 | Location: Granite City, WI | Registered: 10 March 2003Reply With Quote