Find
Notify
Tools

How to use a bench powder drop
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Hi all,

I am obviously new to reloading and just trying to learn as much as possible before I actually begin. I was looking at the Hornady LNL Classic Kit. More specifically the Powder Drop that comes in the kit. I think I have a general understanding on how the drop operates and how to make adjustments, but I wanted to clarify how does one fine tune the drop for a desired charge. Is it simply trial and error by dropping a charge, weighing it and then adjusting the drop repeatedly until it dispenses the desired charge weight?

Thanks

Thanks,
Steve

One of Us
posted Hide Post
yes

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Once you get the powder dropping to the desired weight/volumn, try to keep the same up/down rythum for each charge.

Posts: 144 | Location: Texas | Registered: 16 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
quote:
Is it simply trial and error by dropping a charge, weighing it and then adjusting the drop repeatedly until it dispenses the desired charge weight?

Yep you got it. For pistol I simply drop straight into the case. Like Jim said try to keep the same rythum.

For rifles I drop just a touch light in my scale pain the trickle in the powder to my desired weight.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yes, the only way to set the powder dropper accurately is through trial and error. I like to set my scale to double the weight of the charge and measure two "dumps" at a time. This reduces the amount of time you'll spend "chasing" the most accurate setting by partially averaging out the natural variations in weight from charge to charge. After making an adjustment to the measure, dump one charge and return it to the hopper before dumping a charge (or charges) to weigh. (The first charge dumped after making an adjusment may vary slightly from subsequent charges.)

Generally speaking, coarse stick powders will exhibit some variation in the best of measures, while fine "ball" powders will tend to be extremely consistent in weight from charge to charge. The "short cut" versions of stick powder are more accurately dropped than the versions with the longer granules.

As eluded to by an earlier poster, learn to manipulate the handle of the powder measure in a consistent way, perhaps tapping it against its stop a couple of times at the top of the upstroke. This will both make your powder charges more consistent and help assure that no powder has bridged in the drop tube or is clinging inside the tube due to static electricity.

Posts: 13242 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
how does one fine tune the drop for a desired charge. Is it simply trial and error by dropping a charge, weighing it and then adjusting the drop repeatedly until it dispenses the desired charge weight?

Yep. Adjusting a measure can be done fairly quickly after you get a feel for it.

Posts: 1615 | Location: South Western North Carolina | Registered: 16 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Another thing that can be done is to purchase the Hornady LnL micrometer inserts for each drum (rifle or pistol). It makes repeating the charges the next time, very quick work... you still need to verify the charge weight after you set the micrometer, of course. But they are the cat's pajamas- I have both micrometer inserts.

Posts: 39 | Location: Lynden, Washington | Registered: 27 December 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
And if you start loading rifle cartridges with extruded powders (e.g. IMR4350 - a wonderful powder for many calibers), you'll find that measuring extruded powders can be a pain in the posterior. The large powder kernels will often stick in the measuring throw, causing what is known as a "cut charge", which will not be as precisely measured as it should.

Fix: set your measure to throw .2 - .3 grs less than the nominal charge you want to throw. Throw a charge into your scale pan, and use a powder trickler to get the charge right on the money. This is actually faster and less of a hassle than rejecting one cut charge after the next.

- mike

The rifle is a noble weapon... It entices its bearer into primeval forests, into mountains and deserts untenanted by man. - Horace Kephart

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
When I first started reloading, I spent alot of time tinkering with my powder drop. I don't do any high volume loading using the same amount of powder. I use different powders with different weights and usually don't load more than 50 rounds at a time. I eventually realized that I was spending more time than if I just weighed out each charge on my scale. I have a RCBS 1010 scale, Lee dippers, and a trickler and don't use my powder drop anymore.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Only time I ever did a powder "drop" was when I spilled it on the floor. Otherwise, my powder goes straight from the measure to a case or scale pan.

Posts: 1615 | Location: South Western North Carolina | Registered: 16 September 2005Reply With Quote