New
Find
Notify
Tools

264 win mag
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Will a 1 in 8 twist stabilize this cartridge?

If not, what is the best twist for this speed freak?
I have read a lot of great things about the 6.5's, and I want in....

Some say it is better than the 7mm. Is this true?

Mauserkid...

Posts: 297 | Location: Stevensville MT. | Registered: 21 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I think the standard twist used by most factories is 1-9 for the .264 Win. I know that this is the spec for my Sakos, and they do well with the long 140 grain Nosler partitions.

I wouldn't say that the .264 is "better" than any of the 7mm's. It may be preferable for longer ranges on medium-to-lighter game like deer, while the 7mm is preferable on heavier game.

Posts: 13247 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I mostly shoot the 120`s and 129`s in mine and the recoil is noticably lighter than a 7mm mag. The performance is exceptional with the lighter bullets for light big game, up to whitetail. The 140`s would be the ticket for heavier animals or closer shots, under 300 yds. to my thinking. The 140`s would be a good "woods" weight for less meat damage also. I have a new custom 264 mag on the way, 26" Kriger barrel on a trued Remington 700, waiting for the new Hornady SST`s to become available. Those 129`s are tempting me something terrible. Tim.

Posts: 370 | Location: Memphis, TN. U.S.A. | Registered: 24 July 2000Reply With Quote