Find
Notify
Tools

Moly or not?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of POP
posted
Will moly hurt your rifle at all? What are the advantages or disadvantages? Thanx for any input.

Posts: 3865 | Location: Cheyenne, WYOMING, USA | Registered: 13 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I wouldnt use moly in a non SS gun. If you dont clean your gun well after using it the moly can become very corrosive if exposed to moisture. Moly will get a few more FPS out of a standard cartridge but not more than a 5 percent increase and usually not even that. They say you wont wear out your barrel as fast if you use moly religiously. Moly is more expensive and if you want to do it yourself it gets messy. Its bad stuff to inhale. If you dont use moly all the time you accuracy will be really inconsistent, moly changes POI and moly residue in the barrel will change POI. Then if you clean your barrel well it will also change your POI. www.varmintal.com has some good info about moly under the reloading section.

one of us
posted Hide Post
After I got the KG moly pill box kit from Precision Reloading, and reading all the pro's and con's I have not decided what to do. www.kgcoatings.com It looks like the cleanest way to coat them in the tumbler with out the hassle of using bb's. Tried the bore coating and had a bunch of fliers. And it does cause rust on non sst barrels. I have read that article as well as alot of others, and for now I will just leave the kit in the closet I think. www.varmintal.com/arelo.htm#moly_coating and all that is above that part of the article also.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Moly is for people who, with that gun, would rather fight with moly than fight with copper fouling.

Moly is 10 minutes of hassle per shooting session:

1) burnishing in moly bore paste in the bore before starting shooting

2) neutralizing the acid in the bore from moly disassociation after shooting

Copper is a bigger hassle with every round fired.

1) put copper solvent in the bore

2) wait 10 minutes

3) scrub with a brush

4) repeat 1) through 3) until copper is gone

So the pay off, for moly, is with guns that get many rounds fired per shooting session.

--

A society that teaches evolution as fact will breed a generation of atheists that will destroy the society. It is Darwinian.

Posts: 2249 | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jim White
posted Hide Post
SST,

If you have a rifle that will shoot .001 or .002 groups all the time I expect you will be re-writing all the record books in short order. If however your rifle shoots .200 to .300 groups I will still take my hat off to you and say "Bud you got one helluva great shooting rifle there" I also agree with you completely on the use of moly. I use it in my often shot varmint guns to extend the cleaning interval only. Other than that it has no effect on accuracy and will definitely reduce velocity for a given load. I have never heard of moly attacking a C/M barrel but have been told that it forms a slurry when mixed with certain cleaning solvents and will corrode S/S barrels. Moly does not cause rust in barrels. Not caring for barrels properly causes rust whether moly is present or not. Jim

Posts: 730 | Location: Prescott, AZ | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Jim,

It's kinda funny to see posts on a regular basis that claim groups always running in the .002s (quite often with factory rifles). I shoot quite a bit, and I'm not that fortunate. My 20BR is very accurate, and a better shooter could probably wring out the small groups more consistently than I. Sometimes the wind just outsmarts me, no matter how good I think I've loaded for conditions.

Posts: 529 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 31 January 2002Reply With Quote