Find
Notify
Tools

Nice load for my 7mm Mauser.
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Notice i said MY 7mm Mauser,
Meaning if yu try it yours don't blame me if the reults are spectacular in a negative way !
140 grain Barnes tripple shock. Federal match primmers, in federal brass. 52.5 grains of H-414, this load is 3.5 gains higher than any thing in the barnes manual, and my rifle is a new strong CZ mauser action, If yuo shoot it in your old millitary mauser and the bolt becomes your last meal its on you ! My rifle has a long throat and the bullet is seated way out, I git 2840 fps three shot avarage and thats from a 20.5 inch barrel, (might have to sell my 280)
This load put 9 rounds into 2 inches at a 100 yards and I am sure it would do better with a better rest. Proibably alot better. This load would be great for most any thing i would hunt with a 7mm Mauser. I tested three rounds with a magnum primer, 2 were one hole but I pulled the 3rd. No preasure signs at all. I will shoot the same charge with a 140 grain accubond next. And I will use the mag primers !
...tj3006

Posts: 129 | Location: Portland oregon | Registered: 12 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

why in bloody hell can't the 30-06 and .257 Robt.

Once a guy reaches your level, SAAMI pressures are "more of a guideline than a rule." to use a line from GHOSTBUSTERS.

Posts: 2249 | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
In my opinion the 7x57 is like the 6.5x55, 7-08 and 30-06. They do what they do at 'standard' veloceties because they are so good at it. Why go to all the trouble to 'push' them an extra 100fps or so? In the field it is virtualy meaningless. The small 6s and 7s are excelent up to deer and caribu and the 30-06 to elk at under 300yds. If you need more, buy a bigger gun. my $.02, capt david

Posts: 655 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 11 January 2004Reply With Quote
<eldeguello>
posted
Hmmmm. I shoot 53.5 grains of WW 760 with the 140 grain Nosler Partition in my Ruger 1A 7X57mm, and I get almost exactly 3000 FPS out of mine. I worked up this load back when all of the 7X57mm data given was for IMR powders, and wanted to try to see what WW 760 would do in it! Additionally, this was the most accurate of the work-up series, worked up in 0.5-grain increments.

one of us
posted Hide Post
As amatter of fact !
I do shoot the .280. A model 77 mK 2. I have 10 bollt action rifles in 9 chamberings. The reason I load for the 7mm mauser asHot as i do is cause I can think of no reason not to ! It has proven safe, I loaded the same charge with a 150 gain bullet and started to se preasure signs. Sticky bolt. I thought about backing off the powder charge but decided to use the same charge with a lighter bullet. A modern strong action can handle a lot more presure than an 1891 mauser, witch is the origional rifle for the 7X57.
I like the 20 inch barrel for quick handeling in the thick woods along the Oregon coast range, My .280 would be more likly to get the nod in eastern Oregon where a long shot at a mule deer is common...tj3006

Posts: 129 | Location: Portland oregon | Registered: 12 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
So, if the bolt became YOUR last meal would you blame you?

I don't do the over book loading anymore. Not worth it. Step up in caliber etc....

Just askin......

Posts: 109 | Location: IL | Registered: 20 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of RobertD
posted Hide Post
Hmmm, sounds like a hot load to me. Why not just shoot a 280? It has the same length action, less pressure, and longer barrel life than the hot load you are shooting in your 7x57.

RobertD

Posts: 269 | Location: East Bay, CA | Registered: 11 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

So, if the bolt became YOUR last meal would you blame you?

I don't do the over book loading anymore. Not worth it. Step up in caliber etc....

Just askin......

JMHO, OK? Certain cartridges have traditionally been underloaded because they rifles they were originally chambed in were considered too weak for modern loads. Thus, the 30-06, 7x57 Mauser, 8x57 Mauser (Due to different internal barrel dimensions, .318" vs .323").257 Robt., are just a few examples that come to mind.
Now all the rounds I mentioned all have the same head size, .473". Let's start with the .270 Win., ostensibly loaded to 52,000 C.U.P. Yet all of the other rounds mentioned above are loaded in the 45,000 to 48,000 C.U.P. range. Now if a modern action such as the M70 Winchester, M700 Remington or M77 Ruger can take the pressures of rounds such as the .300 Win. Mag. at 53,700 C.U.P. with an even larger head size which increases the thrust on the bolt and locking lugs, why in bloody hell can't the 30-06 and .257 Robt. be loaded to those same pressures? There would be less strain on the lugs than from the .300 mag.
The same would hold true for the 7 and 8 MM Mauser rounds. They are loaded to proper full power in Europe.
Matter of fact, if you check the velocities of 30-06 and .270 Win. ammo today as compared to just even a very few years ago, you'll see that the lawyers have caused them to be downloaded somewhat.
The 7x57 can be loaded up well past recommended loads in a modern actioned rifle, as can the 30-06.
I will never recommend anyone doing so, as if you do, you will be on your own. However, some good cartridges can be made even better by judicious and careful handloading.
Go to a .280 from the 7x57? hell no! The .280 is another round kept at low pressure because of the pump amd semi-autos it first was chambered in. Another good round getting a raw deal by the ammo makers. Properly loaded in a good bolt action, it comes awfully close to the 7MM Rem. Mag. Interesting.
Remember, most "modern" cartridges are already loaded to their safe limits. Some of the "old timers" are deliberately underloaded because of action concerns. In a modern rifle, they can be safely upgraded by a knowledgeable handloader. Do I recommend anyone do this? Should one go past a loading manual's recommended max load? Absolutely NOT! Those who wish to experiment along those lines are welcome to do so AT THEIR OWN RISK.
Paul B.

Posts: 2814 | Location: Tucson AZ USA | Registered: 11 May 2001Reply With Quote
<9.3x62>
posted
Not sure why there is so much balking about the pressure - sounds like max to me, but it doesn't sound ridiculous.

Anyway, I'm going back and forth with a 7x57 (CM Shilen barrel, 700 action) that has been drivng me NUTS. The 7x57 has NEVER impressed me with its accuracy - I've owned a half dozen or so, and getting one to shoot 0.5 MOA has been amazingly difficult compared to every other rifle round I've worked with. I've actually been disappointed in recent lots of H414, both in terms of accuracy and velocity, especially in the 250-3000 and 9.3x62. In all my experimenting (hair pulling) with my current 7x57, CCI200s, Re15 and Nosler 150 BT are the only thing I can get to shoot semi-decently. My current 280 shoots the pants off of every 7x57 I've ever owned (accuracy wise). Love the 7x57 though, glad to hear someone is getting acceptable results it.

one of us
posted Hide Post
If it's long throated, it will handle this load. I've loaded 50.5 gr with a 160 Nosler partition for 2800 fps for 22 in. barre. This load has been used in Africa in high altitude and hot weather and is safe. I suspicion that a long throated 7x57 has the same capacity as a std throat .280. I agree with the above poster, as to why a .270 or .25-06 will handle 6200 psi, but a .30-06 or 7x57 will only go 49000, makes no sense to me. I also load 53.5 H414 with a 140 Nosler in the 7x57, but I suspicion the Barnes bullet requires a reduction in the charge. Also Winchester cases hold about 1 grain more than Remington.

Posts: 2788 | Location: gallatin, mo usa | Registered: 10 March 2001Reply With Quote