New
Find
Notify
Tools

need dies for 8x57JR (.318)
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I tried a search (5 times) for oldwesternscrounger, and got only an epidemic of popups. I looked on Huntington's web-page, and there was no listing for 8x57JR (.318 and NOT .323), which I need for my drilling. Can anyone advise?
Thanks.
Alex

Posts: 2097 | Location: Gainesville, FL | Registered: 13 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Alex

You might try sizing with an 8x57 JS die with the expander button removed. It may size the neck down just enough for the .318 bullets. Also, you could possibly use a neck bushing die with the smaller bushing.

Posts: 1560 | Location: Arizona Mountains | Registered: 11 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I use a regular RCBS die with an expanding button for a 8.15 X 46R but as said above none at all might work just as well.

There is only about four thousands difference and most dies size the neck down too much anyway.

Posts: 5543 | Registered: 09 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of mbogo375
posted Hide Post
Here's another vote for the standard RCBS die set. I use it for my 8x57 JR drilling, and a couple of 8x57 J bore 98's.

I bought another decapping stem with a .316 expander button from Huntington's. This allows me to clean up any brass that has dents or flat spots from the factory. Otherwise I have used the dies with a .306 button just for depriming before I got the .316 stem, and it worked fine on fired brass.

Jim

Posts: 1206 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 21 July 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
GUYS:
Thank you VERY much!! What you advise is perfectly logical. My mind seems to rarely work that way.
I am grateful.
Alex

Posts: 2097 | Location: Gainesville, FL | Registered: 13 October 2004Reply With Quote