Find
Notify
Tools

Reduced 6.5x55 loads need help
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted
My youngest son wants to start shooting his "hog' rifle (as he calls it). I would normally start with the Hodgdons H4895 reduced loads but I am out of that powder and wondered if anyone has another suggestion for a safe load with substantially reduced recoil. I have on hand 100 grain bullets, and a lot of common powders but I don't really load much for shotgun or pistol.
On hand I have
IMR 4350, 4831, 4895, 4064, maybe 3031 and 4320
I have H380, Reloader 15 maybe 17 and Ramshot Big Game maybe a couple others.

Posts: 5604 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Snellstrom, Sierra's 3rd has this for powders
3031-35.6-2500fps
4895-38.2-2500"
4064-38.9-2500"
4320-38.9-2500"
that mite get you some where,

Posts: 185 | Location: MICHIGAN | Registered: 21 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
popcornAre we just talking paper punching and plinking or is there some game intended? What velocity are you looking for? Are the 100 grain bullets the only ones you'll use? beerroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Mort Canard
posted Hide Post
Snellstrom,
IMR4895 is a good way to duplicate a H4895 load. The burn rates are very similar for a very good reason. You will of course have to start from scratch and work up a good load but that looks to me to be the best match for your preferred H4895 load.

For every action, there is an equal and opposite malfunction.

Posts: 567 | Location: Kansas | Registered: 02 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys
No game intended for quite awhile, these loads are just to get him shooting the rifle. Ringing the sighting gong, punching paper, blowing up water jugs.
Thanks

Posts: 5604 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
rl-15 is also in that same burn range.
for an eye opener you could look at a cast bullet loading book the pressures are extrememy low and can most times be used with jacketed loads.
i was using 15 grs of unique for a practice load in my 8mm forever.
and a reduced load of 31 grs 4895 with plated bullets for my daughter.
thats as cheap as i could cut it till i started making my own cast rifle boolits i even used them for deer hunting this year and my girl took a nice 150 lb deer with a cast in her argie.

Posts: 5001 | Location: soda springs,id | Registered: 02 April 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of z1r
posted Hide Post
I think 3031 would be my pick.

Aut vincere aut mori

Posts: 4864 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 07 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by z1r:
I think 3031 would be my pick.

thumb X 2 thumb roger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Snellstrom:
Thanks guys
No game intended for quite awhile, these loads are just to get him shooting the rifle. Ringing the sighting gong, punching paper, blowing up water jugs.
Thanks

Snell

I bought my 10 year old son, one of these Limbsaver strap on shoulder pads, you can't believe how well these things work. My little guy wants to shoot every thing now. He has shot my full load 6.5x55 with no pain what so ever, then he shot the 250 savage after that, then a 12 gauge. It is a wonderful feeling when they are no longer afraid.
Regards Greg

Posts: 698 | Location: Edmonton Alberta | Registered: 18 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
buy some cast bullets from beartooth, will cost the same as jacketed bullets. then work loads from either the rcbs cast manual or the lyman cast manual.

Posts: 831 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 28 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have shot 100gr ballistic tips under about 33-35gr of IMR 3031 and got great accuracy. Recoil is very slight and noise diminished. No idea on MV but probably around 2,400fps or so.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Not on your powder list,

but I'd pick up some IMr 4198 or SR 4759...

SR 4759.. from 15 to 25 grains.. any bullet weight

IMR 4198 or Rl 7.. from 20 to 30 grains.. any bullet weight..

H 4198 can be substituted.. but not as accurate..

really want some light recoiling rounds..
try Trail Boss...fill case to the shoulder and seat your bullet... velocity in the 1000 to 1100 fps range.. this powder was developed for the cowboy action shooting crowd...

Posts: 16144 | Location: Southern Oregon USA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
Well I loaded up some 100 grain bullets and about 26 grains of IMR-4895, worked great!
My 7 year old said it kicks but he likes shooting it. I ordered a PAST recoil pad and we will add that to the mix and boost the powder charge a bit to get it shooting a bit higher (I ran out of elevation on the scope). After the sighting shots he hit an old griddle at 100 yards 4 out of 5 shots off the bags.