New
Find
Notify
Tools

Lead anyone? Located San Antonio Texas.
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
There is 10,000 pounds of lead scrap coming up in a gov liq. auction in San Antonio Tex in a couple of weeks. I corresponded with the agent in charge and he says the only part requiring "mutilation" is the isotope cups and the lead shields. I don't think this will be much of a problem with an ax, sledge hammer or acetylene torch. I'm kind of past my lead acquisition days but still might bid. I feel that it will sell for .25 cents/lb or less. Anyone interested? There are several thousand pounds of AIM antimony/lead bricks. Not sure of antimony content (hard to read pics).

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Gato,
Is the mutilation required before moving?

Posts: 13978 | Location: http://www.tarawaontheweb.org/tarawa2.jpg | Registered: 03 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
they usually want on sight mutilation.
I don't know what qualifies as mutilation.

Posts: 5001 | Location: soda springs,id | Registered: 02 April 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I suggest you ask the seller. I probably am not going to bid since I don't cast and likely won't even tho I've got a mastercaster (I think that's what it's called, been a while since I bought it) and molds. Here's the link.

lead scrap

It looks to me like a big percentage of the wt would not require mutilation, specifically the lead/antimony ingots. I think a torch or a sledge hammer, or both would work for the rest.

BTW, that 25 cents a pound is simply a guess on my part. Scrappers buy on this site all the time, so it will likely bring close to what they can buy it for and make a profit, but who knows? Current scrap lead is about 25 cents a pound, so I figure it is worth about twice that maximum.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Gato

Posts: 13978 | Location: http://www.tarawaontheweb.org/tarawa2.jpg | Registered: 03 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
looks like you only need to mutilate the isotope containers so they cannot be reused as isotope containers.
that is some very good stuff there for boolit casters.
I wish I was about 1500 miles closer.

Posts: 5001 | Location: soda springs,id | Registered: 02 April 2008Reply With Quote