New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: RL22, .270, and 150 gr bullets
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I've used 60 gr. of RL22 with 150 gr. bullets in my .270 -- a Remington 700 Mountain Rifle -- with very good accuracy at 3000+ f.p.s. muzzle velocity. I used Winchester brass and WLR primers. But this is an exceedingly hot load, and you shouldn't try it unless you work up from below, starting maybe at 54 gr.

I think RL22 is the best powder I've tried in my .270 for 130 to 150 gr. bullets, and that includes IMR and H 4350, and IMR and H 4831.

Posts: 5883 | Location: People's Republic of Maryland | Registered: 11 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the replies guys! I'll go out and try it.

Posts: 395 | Location: Tremonton, UT | Registered: 20 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
56-58 grains is max listed in most manuals for 150s. If you have RL-22 lot 25083, it is a "hot" lot and you should reduce loads 2-3 grains from max. There's a warning on Alliant's website about it and it proved true in the 2lbs I have of it.

-Lou

Posts: 333 | Location: Dallas, TX, USA | Registered: 15 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a pair of Pre-64 Mod. 70s in .270, I load 150 Noslers exclusively and use mag primers. I am using 59 grs. in one and 60 grs. in the other, which as a worn throat; these loads have been tested in 90*+ temps. and are fine, but, they are max., IMO. I get 2900+ fps and very good to superb accuracy. Start about 54-55 grs. and work up, this is my favourite load with the .270, after nearly 40 yrs. of shooting it.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I started at 52.0 and finnally settled on 57.0 gr of RL-22

Good luck

Posts: 281 | Location: MN | Registered: 27 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I am presently using IMR 4350 behind some 150 grain hornady spitzer bullets in my 270 WCF. I bought a new lot that was not as aerodynamic as the old lot I had that shot very well with the 4350, and this new, blunter lot does not shoot near as well as the other lot, again at least with the 4350. I have a couple pounds of RL22 and was wondering your favorite charge of RL22 with the 150 grain bullets.

Posts: 395 | Location: Tremonton, UT | Registered: 20 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yah Rick,

I am upset they changed it, and you are exactly right about the length. Yes, they are more blunt so I can't seat them out as long, yet they are longer so I have to seat them DEAPER in the case. I was getting .7" 5 shot groups with the old "pointier" or more aerodynamic lot and am just over an inch and can't shrink it with the new stuff. I have an 8 lb keg of H4831SC for my tuned 300 win mag load. I'll have to use some on the .270 as well. So many guys have stated RL22 though I think I will try it first. I need to go home and check the lot number because my powder actually seams to be hotter than older RL22 I bought a few years ago.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I am interested in the "less" aerodynamic profile remark. I also noticed this with the 130 grain bullet. It appears that the new style is somewhat less pointed yet overall length is longer than the older style. I will continue to use H4831 no matter what, 59 grains with the 130 Hornady and 57 with the 150.

Posts: 2899 | Registered: 24 November 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of RSY
posted Hide Post
Quote:

Yes, they are more blunt so I can't seat them out as long, yet they are longer so I have to seat them DEAPER in the case.

If they're actually the same weight as before, this is a physical impossibility. Longer and blunter means more material.

The only way it could be possible is if they reduced the amount of lead and increased the amount of jacket material. Maybe that's what has happened.

RSY

Posts: 785 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 01 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I wonder if this change is to make the interlok a deeper penetrating bullet with a thicker jacket, the larger exposed lead point needed to open the thicker jacket. I guess I'll find out this hunting season.

Posts: 2899 | Registered: 24 November 2000Reply With Quote