Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

BEST POWDER FOR THE AR15 'S ??
 Login/Join

posted
I WOULD LIKE TO HEAR YOUR RECIPES FOR ACCURATE AND DEADLY LOADS FOR YOUR AR15.
I HAVE A BUSHMASTER VARMINTER....I HAVE BEEN LOADING W 748 IT IS PLENTY ACCURATE, BUT IS SEEMS LIKE A DIRTY POWDER.
ANYONE HAVE EXPERIENCE WITH H322 ???....OR WHAT ABOUT 2230?
ANY IDEAS WILL BE APPRECIATED.
THANKS
CKM

Posts: 20 | Location: FLINT HILLS OF KANSAS | Registered: 10 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Varget, Reloader 15, and TAC (by Ramshot).
All are clean, consistent, and accurate.
TAC flows through powder measures like water.
I use TAC with 50 grain Nosler Ballistic Tips (factory cosmetic seconds from Shooter's Pro Shop in Bend, OR).
Hmm hmm good!
JCN

Posts: 7158 | Location: Snake River | Registered: 02 February 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
RL15 IS ABSOLUTLEY AWESOME IN BOTH OF MY .220 SWIFTS AND .22-250....BUT I DIDN'T REALIZE I COULD USE IT IN .223....ANYONE ELSE ON RL15 IN THE .223 ??
..PLEASE KEEP THE INFO ROLLING IN..
CKM

Posts: 20 | Location: FLINT HILLS OF KANSAS | Registered: 10 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
H-335 (also sold as WC-844) is the powder that was invented for the .223. MANY powders will work and work well in this caliber (IMR/H4895, BL-C2, AA 2230, and a whole host of others), but the velocity/pressure ratios that H-335 gives in this size case are excellent. Also, being a ball powder, it meters nicely. The original complaint about this powder was residue from the deterrent coating, but that was corrected many years ago. I use it almost exclusively in my .223's (both bolt and auto) and have had no reason to experiment further.

Posts: 13243 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jay Gorski
posted Hide Post
I've loaded H335, H322, Benchmark, Varget, H4895, 2520, and RE7(currently) in my sons AR, they've all worked really well, for the type of shooting he does I'm going with the powder that uses the least amount of powder, that'd be the RE7, and since it's one of the top powders for the AR, so much the better, I'd stay with powders like RE7, H335 and H322, all very excellent, in the 55grainers, anyway. For heavier bullets like 69gr. and up, Varget, RE15 are the ones. Jay

Posts: 1745 | Location: WI. | Registered: 19 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
When I got my H-Bar I tried the Service Match load recommended in one of the Sierra manuals and it is so accurate I never tried anything else.
25.5 gr VV N-135
Sierra 52 gr MatchKing BTHP

I seat the bullet as long as the magazine allows and rountinely get .5 inch 100yd 8 shot groups from the 8 round mag that it came with.

Posts: 11137 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
'Yote Croaker,
All these great powders for the .223 were developed for large military contracts. Powder makers and distributors said "Hmmmmm, lets put $2.00 worth of powder in a can with a label and charge $16.00" . Sometimes capitalism involves very easy decisions.
Anyway, stuff that works well in the .308 generally works well in the .223. Makes sense. Why develop new powders when you already have good ones in the correct burning range.
Tell us what specific bullets you want to use and you'll get some smokin' load recommendations. Different powders & charge weights for 40 Nosler Grain Ballistic tips versus 80 grain Sierra HPBT's, eh?
JCN

Posts: 7158 | Location: Snake River | Registered: 02 February 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I APPRECIATE ALL THE GOOD INFO YOU GUYS ARE SENDING MY WAY.
SOMEONE ASKED WHAT WEIGHT BULLET I AM GOING WITH,...I LIKE TO STICK WITH 55 GRAINERS.....IT SEEMS LIKE MY BUSHMASTER VARMINTER LIKES THE CHEAP REMINGTON PL HOLLOW POINTS AND THEY TEND TO EAT COYOTES UP AND PRAIRIE DOGS TOO.....TRIED SIERRA HP AND THEY GROUP VERY NICELY TOO.

posted Hide Post
My vote is VARGET. 23.5 gr with Sierra 53 gr bullet is an excellent load for 100 - 200 yds. My barrel is 1-8 twist.

Posts: 2 | Location: IL | Registered: 03 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
55 gr. bullets ?

H335 ( 25.3 listed max from Hodgdon ) I found good accuracy at 24.5 in my rifle.

H322 ( 23.0 listed max from hodgdon ) I ran this right up to the max, with very nice results. In my rifle.

W748 also was good.
BLC2 was not.

I have not tried it with 55gr. bullets, but with the 60 gr. bullets I am using now, H4895 is giving some very nice accuracy. ( 20 rounds in 1 inch at 100 yards is very nice in case you wondered )
H4895 ( with 60 gr. bullets ) has outperformed Varget in the accuracy dept. ( for ME , in MY rifle )

Midsouth had these for cheap, and they work well.
60 gr. Hornady TAP Barrier penetrating bullets $150.00 per 5000.

Travis F.