Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

RCBS sizing die problem - Steel vs Carbide
 Login/Join

posted
I was given a ton of reloading equipment and have been learning. I found that the .357 steel RCBS die I was given was scoring the outside of the casings, so I decided to buy another die. I bought a carbide one, thinking it would be better.

I have found that the carbide die is not sizing the casings as well as the steel one, particularly where the base of the case is bulged out. In this case, the carbide die will not remove the bulge, and the case will not fit is my gauge. However, if I run the same case a second time, though the steel die, it is perfect.

When I examined the carbide die, it has a large flare at the opening, which means it never contacts the bulge at the base of the cases. I have a .40 RCBS carbide die, and it is the same design.

Any pointer, tips, things I am missing.

Thanks in advance

One of Us
Picture of DIXIEDOG
posted Hide Post
Have you tried readjusting your die deeper? There should be some camming over when you reach the top of your cycle. They put that large flare to allow the die to start better.

Worse case if you can't get it adjusted down deep enough give RCBS a call and they'll take right care of you....if the die is bad they'll make it right.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DIXIEDOG:
Have you tried readjusting your die deeper? There should be some camming over when you reach the top of your cycle. They put that large flare to allow the die to start better.

Worse case if you can't get it adjusted down deep enough give RCBS a call and they'll take right care of you....if the die is bad they'll make it right.

It's adjusted down all the way (the bottom of the die contacts the shell holder).

Don't know the die is bad, it seems like the flare in it is the problem

One of Us
Picture of DIXIEDOG
posted Hide Post
Sounds like a call to RCBS is in order, they may need to rework your die.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
When steel dies start leaving scratches I get out the cleaning brush finding one that is the right size and with my bore cleaner I scrub the die good. They wipe dry and clean and give it a try. Usually that solves the problem. You could even try spinning some 0000 steel wool inside it with little oil or WD40, clean and try then. If neither of those do the job time for a new die.

Lot of carbide die manufacturer tell you in their adjusting instruction that you aren't suppose to size all the way down on the case, only sizing what has expanded. I too feel a call to RCBS is needed see what they say. They have great customer service.

one of us
Picture of 243winxb
posted Hide Post
Your loading to HOT The web area should not bulge/expand. The bevel on the carbide die is to help case feeding on progressive loaders. Nothing wrong with the carbide die. What is important, will the rounds fit the chamber? Forget the gauge. Smiler

Posts: 1295 | Location: USA | Registered: 21 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
40 S&W is factory loaded to very high pressure for a non-magnum handgun cartridge. I would suggest that you reduce pressures in your reloads and use new brass or factory loads for maximum pressure loads. You don't have to load to maximum pressure to make good practice loads. Your pistol will shoot trouble free much longer that way also. If you're shooting a Glock an after market barrel which supports the rear of the chamber better will also help.

velocity is like a new car, always losing value.
BC is like diamonds, holding value forever.

Posts: 1650 | Location: , texas | Registered: 01 August 2008Reply With Quote