THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Reloading    Reduced .243 load using 55gr & H4895 and IMR4198

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Reduced .243 load using 55gr & H4895 and IMR4198
 Login/Join

posted
** I am trying to put together a youth load Using the Nosler 55gr ballistic tip bullet. I read that the H4895 can be reduced by 60% of max load (see Hodgdon link below) and in Sierra's book the 55 gr bullet uses 38.4 grains of H4895.

** I also found a reduced load using IMR4198 for 80, 90 and 100 gr loads. Is there a way to scale the loads of these bullets to the grain of bullet I want to use (55 gr)? I did notice that while most other powders scale down as bullet weight does up, the opposite is true for this powder. Due to the burn rate I presume?

Does anyone have such a load already?
Suggestions?

http://www.hodgdon.com/PDF/Youth%20Loads.pdf

Thanks for the feedback.

One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
I've been using the hodgdons reduced loads for my sons with great luck in .284 and 6.5x55.
I have used H4895 and IMR 4895 only. The H 4895 I found loads in Hodgdons youth loads, the IMR I found in an old Lyman book for reduced loads for cast bullets. I would be reluctant to try another powder unless I could find that load in a printed reliable source.
Go to the Hodgdons reloading information, (not through the youth tables) and find a H4895 load for 55 or 60 grain bullets and reduce that load per the percentage and instructions in the youth information.
http://data.hodgdon.com/cartridge_load.asp

Posts: 5604 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the link, i had not came across that before. Now I just need to be my hands on the powder. I have been trying for a while but that one doesn't seem to come around often.

Any suggestions on scaling the IMR 4198 down to the 55gr using the data from the given loadeds?

thanks

One of Us
Picture of seafire2
posted Hide Post
I think H 4895 reduced loads suck... I can't get any consistency out of them for accuracy...

Grain Charge X might be accurate as hell, then you go X + 1/10 a grain and groups open up like crazy..

IMR4198, RL 7, SR 4759, 2400, IMR 4227 all have load data floating somewhere around..if you need the security blanket of factory tested loads..

just remember, factories have no real motivation to develop reduced loads with their powders.. so why invest their time and expense? is the way they look at it..

Posts: 9316 | Location: Between Confusion and Lunacy ( Portland OR & San Francisco CA) | Registered: 12 September 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by seafire2:
just remember, factories have no real motivation to develop reduced loads with their powders.. so why invest their time and expense? is the way they look at it..
I see a good many Reduced Loads in my Manuals. Of course they have been tested on $$$Millions$$$ worth of Factory Test equipment by Ballistic Experts, and would therefore be considered - SAFE to use!

I've used and know others who have had excellent grouping with the Hodgdon Reduced H4895 Loads. A daughter of one of my buddies is wearing-out the "Trohy Mount Account" using them. But, it depends on the entire Load Combination and the specific Bore.

By the way, just for clarification, that is 60% of a Hodgdon MAX Load from the Hodgdon Manual, not one from a different source.

Best of luck with your Loads.
-----

As far as Suggestions, if you do not get a Load from a Manual, do not use it.

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote