Find
Notify
Tools

No more Vithavuori propelants?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Big Bore Fan
posted
What's happening with Vithavuori? Currently, there are rumors that it will close the factory in June 2014. Now, some powders are hard to become, and prices rising.
OK, there many other good powders, but especially the N110 for a lot of "reduced" loads in my .30-30, 8,15x46R, .38-55, .405WCF and .45-70, I will miss. Frowner

Martin

Posts: 824 | Location: Munich, Bavaria, thats near Germany | Registered: 23 November 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Supply, discontinuation and changes in the product line has been a pattern of European and Scandanavian propellants.
When I started loading Norma propellants were the premium high performance propellants especially Norma 205. However I could never find it. People that did find it blew primers because it changed so much from lot to lot.
I finally made it a personal rule to avoid those propellants. In the US IMR, Winchester, Alliant and Hodgdon have a steady supply so I use on those propellants.

Posts: 13978 | Location: http://www.tarawaontheweb.org/tarawa2.jpg | Registered: 03 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The owners of the Vitha-factory have decided to sell it.. If no one buys it before mid-summer 2014, they will close down the production..
Relatively safe sources tells me that there are already buyers lining up. Norwegian NAMMO are already stock-holders. Exciting to see how it will end.. A lot of Scandinavians(and Europeans) use theese propelants, I'm sure it will be continued Smiler

M

Posts: 413 | Location: Norway | Registered: 14 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Big Bore Fan
posted Hide Post
I have had never problems with Norma, Rottweil or Vithapower propelant. I loaded really a lot of N110 and a lot of Rottweil R902 and R904. Norma is now very expensive, but in the past I loaded N200, N204 and MRP without any problems. "My" standard propelant for 7x57 and .300Win Mag is Vitha N160. And for my handguns, I use a lot of N320 and N340.
In Germany every propelant here is very expensive. One lbs of Hodgon or IMR is prices about nearly 50.-€. 500g of Vitha, Rottweil or Norma over 60.- and 1kg over 100.-.

Martin

Posts: 824 | Location: Munich, Bavaria, thats near Germany | Registered: 23 November 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Big Bore Fan
posted Hide Post
quote:
I'm sure it will be continued Smiler

I hope so.... tu2

Martin

One of Us
posted Hide Post
BBF - The propellants in the US are about $20/lb for most of those that I use except SR4759. It is $16 for 8oz I think.
Nammo is a military supplier. They may not care to cater to the consumer market. I hope it turns out well since I have heard those are quality propellants.

Posts: 13978 | Location: http://www.tarawaontheweb.org/tarawa2.jpg | Registered: 03 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Oddbod
posted Hide Post
Hodgdon rifle powders are currently the equivalent of $61.60/lb here in the UK shocker CRYBABY

Posts: 610 | Location: Cumbria, UK | Registered: 09 July 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I just bought 1 kg of N160 and had to pay
€ 84,50. I can I just emptied cost € 67,50 about a year ago.

Posts: 223 | Location: Netherlands | Registered: 16 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Big Bore Fan
posted Hide Post
quote:
I can I just emptied cost € 67,50 about a year ago.

Yes, prices rising. 2011 I bought a 1 lbs bottle of Titegroup and Lil´gun. I paid 40.-€. Last year the prices are over 50.-€. The N1xx-serie at my "drug"-dealer costs over 100.-€ at the moment. The N5xx costs more.

Martin

One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
Glad to hear that there are people lining up to buy the business. I use N160 a lot & N560. I heard this rumour at the local gun shop & now saw this post.

Powders cost US$50 + per lbs here in NZ. Bullets are also very expensive. Our small market size and the shipping distances must have a lot to do with this.

"When the wind stops....start rowing. When the wind starts, get the sail up quick."

Posts: 11254 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hodgdon rifle powders are not all made in the USA. But, they are all good.

NRA Patron Member

Posts: 404 | Location: Troy Michigan | Registered: 14 February 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
EURENCO, the company that currently owns and operates the Vihtavuori Oy powder plant in Finland issued a press release on March 12, 2013. In the release, EURENCO states that it is starting “to define a downsizing process that may ultimately result in stopping the production of nitrocellulose and propellant in Vihtavuori.” This sounds ominous, but understand that a plant closure in Finland won’t necessarily mean the end of Vihtavuori-brand powder (or at least alternative EURENCO powders with similar characteristics). This is because Eurenco has four (4) other modern powder production facilities. Additionally, we have confirmed that Nammo Lapua is current having “discussions” with EURENCO regarding the status of the Vihtavuori plant — but we have no more specifics about Nammo’s interest in the plant.

http://bulletin.accurateshoote...ori-oy-powder-plant/

Posts: 1205 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 07 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of NEJack
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nakihunter:
Glad to hear that there are people lining up to buy the business. I use N160 a lot & N560. I heard this rumour at the local gun shop & now saw this post.

Powders cost US$50 + per lbs here in NZ. Bullets are also very expensive. Our small market size and the shipping distances must have a lot to do with this.

With all the complaining about rising prices here in the US, I guess we have to be thankful. My last pound of Titegroup, purchased a month ago, cost me $22 US. And that is with tax.

If I had to pay what you guys are, I would shoot about half as much as I do today.

Posts: 727 | Location: Eastern Iowa (NUTS!) | Registered: 29 March 2003Reply With Quote