New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: Barnes XLC
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
The ladder method is a way to tune your loads to your individual rifle. It is based on the fact that all barrels whip (some more than others) causing bullets to depart at more or less stable flights.

I basically choose the powder primer first based on loads showing minimal to no pressure signs with the bullet seated .005" back from its max OAL for the particular rifle's chamber. If you do not know how to determine max OAL let me know and I will show you a quick/easy/free way of doing it.

From this max "safe" OAL I start seating bullets (from 15-30 rounds) with each approx .003" shorter than the previous. Be sure to mark each one with #1 being the longest and #15or30 being the shortest. Also note the OAL of each on a pad of paper. Now for the fun part. Go to your range where you can do some good bench work, meaning you can shoot your absolute best. It is preferable that it be 200yrds or more. Be sure your barrel is fouled with a couple fouling rounds (with the Barnes bullets it is very important to have started out with a very clean barrel w/minimal copper fouling). With an identical target and good spotting scope beside you, start w/#1 and work through sequence through all of the rounds noting the impact of each on the target beside you and being careful that pressure signs don't develop as OAL's decrease. You will find that there will be some groups (maybe one, maybe three) where three or more bullets in sequence (#11,#12,#13, etc.) grouped very well. Average out the mid-OAL between the tightest group and you have an OAL where the load/rifle are tuned and harmonious. Double check by loading some at this OAL and firing them for a group.

A couple important things to note. 100yrd range will work, but disparity is increased at longer range making it easier to distinguish the best group(s). The highest power riflescope works best (for example, I will put my 4-16x on the rifle developing the loads) since in many cases you really are splitting hairs. Barnes "X" bullets produce alot of copper fouling. If using the "X's", you may have to do this with no more than 15rds since after a point no Barnes"X"/OAL combination will work. The "XLC's" (and I have heard the "TSX's"), produce much less fouling.

Deke.

Posts: 691 | Location: Somewhere in Idaho | Registered: 31 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Are these coated bullets accurate?? I will be using them on deer size game. Average shot about 250 yards, sometimes 50 yards. 165 grain .308 Win. aprox speed 2700 f.p.s.
Or am I better off with a Nolser partition.

one of us
Picture of Dutch
posted Hide Post
The answer is: sometimes. The current crop of Barnes has superb terminal ballistics, beter than the Partition, IN MY OPINION. Some guns shoot them very well, some guns don't.

The newer TSX seems to be less finicky, and has the same terminal ballistics.

Also, if you are going with a Barnes, you can get away with something like the 130 or 140 grain (less recoil), and keep your penetration and killing ability. It's kinda like having your cake and eating it, too. HTH, Dutch.

Posts: 4564 | Location: Idaho Falls, ID, USA | Registered: 21 September 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of DesertRam
posted Hide Post
I've only tried them in one rifle so far: a Sako 6.5X55. I've shot both the 120 and 140 grain versions with excellent results (accuracy-wise). I found the 140s to perform better on game. I think I was pushing the 120s a little too fast for close shots, but the 140s kill like the hammer of Thor at every range I've tried. I've killed several hogs, antelope, and a deer with them. All were one shot kills, with perfect pass-through performance and awesome blood trails (if the critter didn't drop right there). That's one thing I've really come to appreciate with the X bullets - excellent penetration that results in a great exit wound that bleeds quite nicely. Sure makes following critters into the brush a lot easier. Give them a try. I've working with them in a .338 right now and so far it looks promising.

Posts: 3300 | Location: Southern NM USA | Registered: 01 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have had excellant results with 130 grain xlc in my 30-06

Posts: 64 | Location: Utah | Registered: 02 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
hglass,

The Barnes bullets can be very accurate. Most say the gun will determine that, but I believe that it is really up to the handloader. I have used the "ladder" method of load development and have never failed to get ANY load to shoot 1.25MOA (only one was 1.25, others were MOA or better). If you would like more info, email me and I will give it to you. BTW, the 165 "XLC's" are alot of bullet for deer. I would opt for the 150 or 130 gr bullet.

Deke.

Posts: 691 | Location: Somewhere in Idaho | Registered: 31 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of POP
posted Hide Post
378 WBY Mag with 270gr XLC at 3130 fps. Group of 3 shots at 100 yds.

Posts: 3865 | Location: Cheyenne, WYOMING, USA | Registered: 13 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of POP
posted Hide Post
Quote:

hglass,

The Barnes bullets can be very accurate. Most say the gun will determine that, but I believe that it is really up to the handloader. I have used the "ladder" method of load development and have never failed to get ANY load to shoot 1.25MOA (only one was 1.25, others were MOA or better). If you would like more info, email me and I will give it to you. BTW, the 165 "XLC's" are alot of bullet for deer. I would opt for the 150 or 130 gr bullet.

Deke.

Can you explain the ladder method? < !--color-->

Posts: 3865 | Location: Cheyenne, WYOMING, USA | Registered: 13 June 2000Reply With Quote