New
Find
Notify
Tools

Lead Free Bullets
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I'm about 8 months away from retiring and thinking about some reloading projects I want to do. I'm pretty sure New York State will require lead free bullets for deer hunting sometime in the future, the DEC is already trying to convince hunters to switch. Anyway, what do you consider the optimum lead free bullet weight to be for the following cartridges for mainly deer but an occasional black bear and coyote. Where I hunt a 125 yd shot is long.

243 Win 20 in barrel
257 Roberts 22 in barrel
300 Savage 24 in barrel

Posts: 1230 | Location: Saugerties, New York | Registered: 12 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
.243 80-85 grain
257 90-100 grain
300 Savage 125-130 grain

Many people will disagree but when you go to Mono metal bullets you should drop down several weights from what you customarily shoot cup and core bullet weights. The above mentioned copper bullet weights will penetrate completely through deer size game.
Mono bullets perform at there best when they lighter and faster than heavier cup and core velocities.

Posts: 5604 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hi Greg k,

Take a look at Cutting Edge Bullets. They have bronze and copper. I have used them in several calibers with excellent results, both in accuracy and killing power.

Posts: 2173 | Location: NORTHWEST NEW MEXICO, USA | Registered: 05 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Both Snellstorm and impala#03 have it right, I think. I use CEB bullets on cape buffalo.
I think that you don't really need such a good bullet for deer and coyote. Maybe Barns TTSX for the deer.
CEB Raptor in your 300 savage will really work on the bear.

My Grandson will hunt blu wildebeests (they are tough) with a .308 CEB 100 grain flat based raptor at 2600fps this summer.

IHMSA BC Provincial Champion and Perfect 40 Score, Unlimited Category, AAA Class.

Posts: 3404 | Location: Kamloops, BC | Registered: 09 November 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've shot Barnes out of the .243 and .308 diameter bullets (.277, .284, .323, .338, .416 also) and they've always worked to perfection. I'm sure they're not the only good monos but I haven't tried anything else.

Too little time, too many toys.

Zeke

One of Us
Picture of buffybr
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Greg K:
... what do you consider the optimum lead free bullet weight to be for the following cartridges for mainly deer but an occasional black bear and coyote. Where I hunt a 125 yd shot is long.

243 Win 20 in barrel
257 Roberts 22 in barrel
300 Savage 24 in barrel

For those animals, at that range, and for those guns, pick the bullets that are the most accurate in your guns and just go hunting. At that range optimum bullet performance is a moot point: Just about any hunting bullet will easily and quickly kill any of those animals if it is put into the right spot. You don't need to overthink it with the supposed differences of different brands and weights of mono copper bullets.

NRA Endowment Life Member

Posts: 1635 | Location: Boz Angeles, MT | Registered: 14 February 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Snellstrom is about as close to perfect as I can imagine..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42158 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by buffybr:
quote:
Originally posted by Greg K:
... what do you consider the optimum lead free bullet weight to be for the following cartridges for mainly deer but an occasional black bear and coyote. Where I hunt a 125 yd shot is long.

243 Win 20 in barrel
257 Roberts 22 in barrel
300 Savage 24 in barrel

For those animals, at that range, and for those guns, pick the bullets that are the most accurate in your guns and just go hunting. At that range optimum bullet performance is a moot point: Just about any hunting bullet will easily and quickly kill any of those animals if it is put into the right spot. You don't need to overthink it with the supposed differences of different brands and weights of mono copper bullets.

Right on!

The important thing is that the bullet expands on impact. Lead free hunting bullets tend to expand well and rarely disintegrate at faster than minimum velocities.

One has no need to go down in weight to get good performance as long as the impact velocity is fast enough to get reliable expansion.

So, buffybr's advice to use the bullets that shoot most accurately in one's rifle is spot on!

Posts: 89 | Location: Northern California | Registered: 11 April 2017Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a 6x45mm and a 6mm-284 that will need lead-free shortly soon (lead-free, what a cutesy phrase to imply an advance in ballistic technology). I have a few of the older XTC blue bullets to get by one or two seasons but will have to start with newer Barnes bullets soon. I will be using 85-grain bullets, which will stabilize in the rifles I have (VLDs will not). I'm told the new ones are more accurate than the old ones were. Next will be the 7mm magnum, maybe summertime. For that, maybe something in the 140-145 grain range.

TomP

Our country, right or wrong. When right, to be kept right, when wrong to be put right.

Carl Schurz (1829 - 1906)

Posts: 14603 | Location: Moreno Valley CA USA | Registered: 20 November 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
Tom,

I like the TTSX better than the TSX for the smaller bores because of the better ballistic coefficient and they say that the plastic tip aids in starting expansion. I'm slowly changing over to the TTSX bullets for all my lead free loads.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12695 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Blacktailer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fjold:
Tom,

I like the TTSX better than the TSX for the smaller bores because of the better ballistic coefficient and they say that the plastic tip aids in starting expansion. I'm slowly changing over to the TTSX bullets for all my lead free loads.

I've also found the TTSX to be as accurate as any bullet I have tried. Just load and go.

Have gun- Will travel
The value of a trophy is computed directly in terms of personal investment in its acquisition. Robert Ruark

Posts: 3830 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: 09 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Blacktailer:
quote:
Originally posted by Fjold:
Tom,

I've also found the TTSX to be as accurate as any bullet I have tried. Just load and go.

Thanks, y'all. I'll make my way over to one of the local rifle shops and get some to load.

TomP

Our country, right or wrong. When right, to be kept right, when wrong to be put right.

Posts: 14603 | Location: Moreno Valley CA USA | Registered: 20 November 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Wait until NY and CAlif. find out those monolithic bullets can penetrate two deer and elk and 5 cuddly bunnies and head for LA or NY proper, hope they get at least a few antis before they snap on what theve done!!! Im also betting a condor would just as soon eat a copper bullet as a Spearment wrapper or REm corelokt, all of which was a lie in the first place..Idaho will leave the union and keep our guns and bullets like California doing right now over immigration, NOW AIN'T THAT A CROCK, TALK ABOUT CAUSING A REVOLUTION, THANKS TO THE GOV OF CALIFORNIA, WHAT A MORON.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42158 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Crazyhorseconsulting
posted Hide Post
quote:
For those animals, at that range, and for those guns, pick the bullets that are the most accurate in your guns and just go hunting.

Plus One on the above. Find what loads your rifles like best and stick with them.

Even the rocks don't last forever.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Atkinson:
Wait until NY and CAlif. find out those monolithic bullets can penetrate two deer and elk and 5 cuddly bunnies and head for LA or NY proper, hope they get at least a few antis before they snap on what theve done!!! Im also betting a condor would just as soon eat a copper bullet as a Spearment wrapper or REm corelokt, all of which was a lie in the first place..Idaho will leave the union and keep our guns and bullets like California doing right now over immigration, NOW AIN'T THAT A CROCK, TALK ABOUT CAUSING A REVOLUTION, THANKS TO THE GOV OF CALIFORNIA, WHAT A MORON.

It's doubtful the condors are real picky about fragments, and copper is a well-known biocide used in bottom paints for ships.
Worse, the ignorant legislators included 22 RF in the lead ban for hunting.
There are so far no accurate non-lead cartridges for 22 RF, and the hunting ban starts in 2019.
Copper bullets are tolerable for centerfire cartridges, but including 22 RF is an unnecessary travesty.

I wrote to our state representative, told him they'd done more to divert a diehard Libertarian to the Republican party than all the conservatives on the radio put together.

TomP

one of us
Picture of Blacktailer
posted Hide Post
Tom,
I'm voting with my feet. Just bought a place in AZ.

Have gun- Will travel
The value of a trophy is computed directly in terms of personal investment in its acquisition. Robert Ruark

Posts: 3830 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: 09 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ray- The Governor of CA ISN'T a moron; he's a slut!

jmbn
Old and in the way

Posts: 280 | Location: Lakeview OR | Registered: 02 October 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Blacktailer:
Tom,
I'm voting with my feet. Just bought a place in AZ.

I know a number of people who've done just that. We are marooned with grandbabies...

TomP