Find
Notify
Tools

Re: Nosler Solid base bullets
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Tiny
posted
The Solid Base and Ballistic Tip are basically the same Bullet with the differences being the BT has the Polyomer Tip.The Solid Base was the platform for the BT.
I would expect a slightly slower expansion with the Solid Base.

Posts: 205 | Location: East Tennessee | Registered: 19 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I used the 150 gr 7mm Solid Bases years ago in a 7mm Mag. They were the precursor of the ballistic tip, but were not as frangible and a great deer bullet. Nosler put the plastic tip on the solid base for a higher BC and it became the ballistic tip. I have recently heard that they are available again, but haven't used any for years.

Posts: 2788 | Location: gallatin, mo usa | Registered: 10 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I ordered some 6mm/100 gr. directly from Nosler for use next week on a Utah mule deer. They're very accurate.

one of us
posted Hide Post
The solid base bullets are made by Nosler for the Federal commercial ammunition. Thus, not many reloaders have used this bullet. You can get Nosler solid base bullets as seconds.

Posts: 257 | Location: Torrance, Ca | Registered: 02 July 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I was looking through a Graf & Sons catalog and saw a load for the 300 Wby with a 180 gr. Nosler Solid base (p.17 out of the 2004 annual catalog). Any how I was curious b/c I posted a question about 180 gr ballistic tips for deer and I got lots of great advice for bullet choices. However, no one mentioned this one. Does anyone have any experience or thoughts? Just curious.