New
Find
Notify
Tools

35 Whelen Ackley Improved
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Would anyone out there care to share any loads or opions on this cartridge??? I just had one built and need to work up some loads. Will be used for whitetails and black bear here in MI.

Thanks!

MIBIGHNTR

Posts: 217 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 15 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If you are thinking the Ackley Imp version is going to give you a lot more more velocity you will be disappointed. You might see 100 fps more than the std 35 whelan. I like the imp version because it creates a nice sharp shoulder to headspace on,and cases last forever. Some do not care for the Imp version because they have to fireform cases.I have a load with 200 gr spire pts that I use on deer in thick bush.It was worked up in fireformed cases. I then tried the same load in std 35 whelan cases and the group sizes did not change one bit.I no longer worry about having fireformed cases for hunting loads. The modest gain in case capacity is also welcomed with heavier bullets.

Posts: 2442 | Location: manitoba canada | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
<DuaneinND>
posted
Mine likes RL15, start with max loads for the standard Whelen in formed cases, and work your way up. Watch very closely, as AI cases sometimes don't show pressue until it is to late.

<Elliot Viker>
posted
Mine lilkes AA2520 and Nosler 225gr BT's 60.3gr I get 2830fps from a 24 inch barrel.

<bendtsen>
posted
Hi All

Will get a barrel for my Sauer200 tomorrow, then the fun begins!
Plan on using Barnes x 225g. For skandinavian moose next week.
Any load suggestions would be appreciated.

Tx
bendtsen