Find
Notify
Tools

Alliant BE 86 in the 40 S&W?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of mike_elmer
posted
With difficulty obtaining certain powders, I have been looking to other options. I usually use Unique in my 40 S&W, but am considering trying BE 86, as it is advertised as a powder designed for the 40, and 9mm type cartridges.

Has anyone tried it? What are your thoughts?

Posts: 8421 | Location: adamstown, pa | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of lee440
posted Hide Post
I have never heard of it, much less seen any of it. Since I have just geared up to reload 40, I will be watching!

DRSS(We Band of Bubba's Div.)
N.R.A (Life)
T.S.R.A (Life)
D.S.C.

Posts: 2272 | Location: Texas | Registered: 18 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of mike_elmer
posted Hide Post
Lee, it's an Alliant Powder, and I have seen plenty of it around here in PA...

I have had good results with Unique, but the BE 86 is listed as one of those new fangled powders that gives higher velocities with lower pressures, which is a huge plus with the .40 S&W.

Posts: 8421 | Location: adamstown, pa | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I wish I lived closer. I'd give you two pounds of Unique. My 40s like Titeguoup better.

Larry

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history, when everybody stands around reloading" -- Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 3942 | Location: Kansas USA | Registered: 04 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of mike_elmer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by larrys:
I wish I lived closer. I'd give you two pounds of Unique. My 40s like Titeguoup better.

Larry, I am not a big one for hoarding, but if it weren't so far, I would take you up on that offer! I use Unique for shotgun loads as well as the 40, so I can burn it up.

Actually, I guess it is one of the reasons I hesitate to buy a pound of BE 86... I have seen no loads listed for shotgun shells.

Picture of drewzter
posted Hide Post
I bought a pound this summer. So far I have only used it for 9mm. It was fine. Very much like Power Pistol. Supposed to have less flash.

Posts: 14 | Location: Jacksonville, FL | Registered: 25 March 2013Reply With Quote