Find
Notify
Tools

shoulder case trimmer
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
has anyone ever used this item?
it sits on the case shoulder and trims the neck to length using the shoulder as the fixed point. is this better than trimming using the base of the case as the fixed point?
and has anyone had experience of RWS cases, i intend to neck down the 270 to 25-06, it seems the only way I can get good quality cases, unless somebody has any other suggestions!
thanks
Griff.

Posts: 1179 | Location: scotland | Registered: 28 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Considering the variances in chambers in the same calibers, I doubt it would be anymore accurate than any other trimmer...exact trimming is impossible with the inexpensive trimmers on the market nor is it necessary to be exact...The whole idea is to keep the case from pinching in the rifling and running pressures up, so many think it is an accuracy thing and it just isn't..a variance of several thousands in neck lenth will not even bother the most discrimanate bench rester...

I suppose RWS is more readly available in Scotland than other brass, but Winchester is my favorite brass for most calibers. Lapua is also excellent brass as is RWS...I wouldn't be to concerned over what make of brass I used as long as your consistant...I never mix brass brands.

------------------
Ray Atkinson

ray@atkinsonhunting.com
atkinsonhunting.com

Posts: 41892 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I own a Gracey and I wouldn't be without it.
As Ray said, it isn't any more accurate or less accurate than what you need. Many Highpower competitors use this trimmer.
In my opinion, indicating on the shoulder does not make it any more accurate. What it does is make it many times more quicker to trim cases. Also, it chamfers the inside of the case mouth while trimming, also speeding up the whole operation. It is far and a way the best trimmer I have used. It's only down side is that it can't handle the big
calibers ( >.375). For the big cases, I use
a Forster.

------------------
RC

Posts: 1147 | Location: Ohio USA | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
thanks for the replies,will stick with the old lee trimmer,and remi cases.
Griff

Posts: 1179 | Location: scotland | Registered: 28 February 2001Reply With Quote