THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Reloading    What causes the bullets to string on the target!

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What causes the bullets to string on the target!
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
All shots cutting each other in a straight line all inside the other it looks neat but I really don't like it'
Scope screws tight Rifle screws tight
Ideas

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Verticle spread?

Posts: 49226 | Registered: 21 January 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 308Sako
posted Hide Post
Horizontal, most likely wind, vertical and it's any one of several obvious causes... load, barrel bedding, and on and on. It's one of the great shooting mystries. But since they do touch,you must be close to perfection.
beer

Member NRA, SCI- Life #358 28+ years now!
DRSS, double owner-shooter since 1983, O/U .30-06 Browning Continental set.

Posts: 3611 | Location: LV NV | Registered: 22 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Most always it's shooter error.
We don't like to admit it but there it is.

muck

Posts: 1052 | Location: Southern OHIO USA | Registered: 17 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
SmilerIf I could have figured that out I would have had a fine shooting rifle. I shot 10 shots that had 3 through one hole and strung out the next 7 over a 3 inch line perfect in vertical height. Some shots were through the same hole and then a bit on down the line. Never did figure it out. Calm, sunny shooting off a real good bench with a top on it. It did this about every third shooting. Had everything checked out. Shot another rifle and put ten in a .750 group. Back to the other and down the line we went.

Posts: 671 | Location: none | Registered: 14 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bill r,

Does the point of impact seem to "walk" as the barrel heats up?

Posts: 49226 | Registered: 21 January 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Blob1:
3 through one hole and strung out the next 7 over a 3 inch line perfect in vertical height.

Been there a number of times but the string never got much beyond 1 1/2". It seemed to progress as the barrel heated.

Try 10 shots with the same bullet with a Seafire suggested Blue Dot load. The severity of barrel heating is substantially reduced.That may be a start in getting the story told.

There also is the possibility that the reduced recoil will allow you to achieve a more consistant check to stock weld. It's a fun game isn't B1? sofaroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have see this happen as the barrel heats up.
Could be several things; Off center bore, loose barrel/receiver joint, bedding ???.
When it cools does the group return to the
poa?.
Good Luck!

Posts: 1028 | Location: Mid Michigan | Registered: 08 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If it is a 30cal and you decide to STOP shooting after 3-shots, the group would be in the high 5s or low 6s.

So, the obvious answer is you begin "bragging" about excellent accuracy.
---

If you are doing it consistently(the 5s-6s) from a spotlessly clean, lightly lubed, cold bore, then your confidence should peg the meter and you need to be out killing things - with 1-shot.

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It is obvious the gun wants to shoot, so we have a process or elimination here...I feel certain one of the below options will cure its ills....

1. Front screw needs to be tighter perhaps, so tighten the screw a tad after the first shot comes to center, then try another group...

2. The gun indicates walking in one direction therefore you could have side pressure in the barrel channel or side pressure on the action caused by misalignment of the action in the wood, very common problem, or perhaps very slightly bent or cross threaded action screws..

3. Maybe just changing bullets, powder charges or both will cure the problem...

4. The action bedding is the FIRST thing you want to check BTW
I have seen newbie stockmakers cut the channel out of a barrel because the channel showed inletting black to the point of ruining a stock, when all the time the problem was the action was bearing on the opposite side, a quick fix all the time but by the time they found the problem and relieved the action and the barrel came back to center, they had a bad gap in the barrel channel, nothing left to do at that point but glass bed it and hope for the best.....Learned that the hard way many years ago.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42176 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bill,
i'm surprised that no one has mentioned changing different primers. I have found that in a lot of cases, a primer that isn't hot enough seems to want to string your shots vertically. If your using regular rifle primers, maybe get a few magnum rifle primers and load them up. Let us know how it turns out for you!
Ruck

Ruck

Posts: 203 | Location: Southwestern, va | Registered: 30 October 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Why would "weak" primers string sequentially?.
Good luck!

Posts: 1028 | Location: Mid Michigan | Registered: 08 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
When your rifle is slinging rounds both vertically and horizontally it has nothing to do with primers, powders or bullets, its in the bedding...

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42176 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Given a match grade barrel, match bullets, and good bedding, the largest error source in the system is the shooter. I do not know how many of these varibles apply to this Mr. Bill R.

The easiest way to get "stringing" is in postion changes. Left to right stringing will be caused by the shooter placing the rifle in a different location on the shoulder. As the rifle is moved left and right on the shoulder, the string will move the right and left.

Moving the face up and down on the stock will cause vertical stringing.

This error is subtle because you just don't believe it is due to you. But it is.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Here is an article about stringing - don't expect a single, easy answer, though.
- mike

The rifle is a noble weapon... It entices its bearer into primeval forests, into mountains and deserts untenanted by man. - Horace Kephart

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Probably each of us had had the problem from time to time, and have "fixed" it - or it's gone away on its own using some technique or other. It's like a slice in golf - nasty.

I "fixed" mine by getting off sandbags and onto a cheap Caldwell front bag and rear "bunny ear" bag. The barrel is still in the barrel while the rifle is under recoil, so the rifle must recoil along the same path each time. It worked for me - maybe like crossing my eyes swinging a golf club "works" - it makes you more conscious of your technique.

Jaywalker

Posts: 1006 | Location: Texas | Registered: 30 December 2003Reply With Quote