THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: Anyone using the 7mm Hdy. 162 grn SSTs?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Deutsch-Drahthaar
posted
By the way:

Accuracy is great. I shoot them at 3000FPS with 63.8gr of IMR 4831, winchester cases, federal magnum primers.

I will probably never change this load for that rifle.

Posts: 112 | Location: Fairbanks, Alaska | Registered: 25 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Deutsch-Drahthaar
posted Hide Post
I reloaded the 162gr SST for my 7mm Rem. Mag. this year for moose season. My wife shot her first moose (and big game animal for that fact) with my 7mm.

I have shot moose with 300 win mags, 45-70's and 338 win mags. That SST slammed that moose with a frontal shot and it was all over. It raised it's leg a time or two, wheezed for a min or two and it was a done deal.

The bullet had to of held up quite well cause it exited behind the left mid-rib. That's alot of traveling to enter the front of the moose. I couldn't have been more pleased with the bullet. It did just what a partition would of done for half the price.

Ben

Posts: 112 | Location: Fairbanks, Alaska | Registered: 25 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Reloader
posted Hide Post
I have often wondered why Nosler doesn't make a 7mm 160 grn NBT but, you can't have everything. Anyhow, I am kind of thinking about the Hdy 162 SSTs and I was wondering if any of you guys had tried them?

If so, How accurate were they? How did they perform on game?

Thanks,

Reloader

Posts: 4146 | Location: North Louisiana | Registered: 18 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have not tried the 162 sst yet, but have been shooting the 162 Hornady SPBT for a couple of years in my #1 7mmSTW.
Accuracy is sub moa in this rifle, and I hope to see it's performance on game this deer season.

Posts: 273 | Location: West Central Idaho | Registered: 15 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BigNate
posted Hide Post
I bought a bunch of the seconds from Midsouth and have been trying different loads with them. They are pretty accurate from what I saw but not as consistant in my rifle as the 160gr. Barnes XLC was. It is over a stiff charge of IMR7828 lit by WLRM's. They were shooting into a ragged hole at 90 yards or so from a bipod on the hood of my jeep. I wish I had a real bench to test with.

I sectioned one of the 162gr Hornady's and have a picture but the hosting site seems to be having problems. I could email it to you maybe if you're interested.

I've been fighting a scope mounting issue on this rifle so have not taken it hunting with these loads. As a matter of fact I was planning on using it in two weeks for an Elk & Mule deer hunt but with the scope mounting crap I'll be taking the .338!

Posts: 2376 | Location: Idaho Panhandle | Registered: 27 November 2001Reply With Quote