Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Barnes XLC 45 grain in 22 hornet?
 Login/Join

posted
Just got the license for my first tiny caliber.
A BRNO ZKW 465 in 22 Hornet, built -53.

I would like to try out Barnes XLC 45 grains.
The bullet will be used for game hunting.
Any one out there with experience on how this bullet works in game considering the moderate velocity of the 22 Hornet?

Posts: 9 | Location: Sweden | Registered: 10 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've tried Barnes 45 grain solid copper 45 grain spitizers in my Kimber series "S" M-82 Hornet. My rifle has a 1-in-14" twist, and I thought it would stabolize okay. However the bullet has a long ogive, and all loads shot from my Hornet keyholed @ 50 yards. I believe if one is going to use any type of Barnes bullets that contain no lead, like the XLC, you would need a 1-in-12" twist to stabolize the bullet. Your rifle most likely has a 1-in-16" twist and the bore dia. might be .223". I use regular "Hornet" type bullets in my .22 Hornet rifle.

David

Posts: 332 | Location: Backwoods Of Kentucky | Registered: 18 September 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Ok, thanks.
I'll have to do a small calculation if it is worth even buying a box of them then.

Posts: 9 | Location: Sweden | Registered: 10 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Honour:
Ok, thanks.
I'll have to do a small calculation if it is worth even buying a box of them then.

If you should own a rifle in .223 Remington, then you might get by with using the Barnes Bullets you desire to use. A .223 typically has a twist rating of 1-in-12" and at higher end velocities this should shoot well for you. <Good Luck!>

David

Posts: 332 | Location: Backwoods Of Kentucky | Registered: 18 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
From an on game performance standpoint, the 45gr XLC's work very well in my Ruger Hornet. It is the only bullet I use for coyotes in my Hornet, and there is a noticeble difference between the XLC and any other bullet I have tried.

Posts: 620 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote