THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Reloading    Hodgdon Superformance - what experiences do you have?

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Hodgdon Superformance - what experiences do you have?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted
I am planning on using it in the 30-06...

what experiences have you had?

Mike

Never under estimate the internet community's ability to reply to your post with their personal rant about their tangentially related, single occurrence issue.

What I have learned on AR, since 2001:
1. The proper answer to: Where is the best place in town to get a steak dinner? is…You should go to Mel's Diner and get the fried chicken.
2. Big game animals can tell the difference between .015 of an inch in diameter, 15 grains of bullet weight, and 150 fps.
3. There is a difference in the performance of two identical projectiles launched at the same velocity if they came from different cartridges.
4. While a double rifle is the perfect DGR, every 375HH bolt gun needs to be modified to carry at least 5 down.
5. While a floor plate and detachable box magazine both use a mechanical latch, only the floor plate latch is reliable. Disregard the fact that every modern military rifle uses a detachable box magazine.
6. The Remington 700 is unreliable regardless of the fact it is the basis of the USMC M40 sniper rifle for 40+ years with no changes to the receiver or extractor and is the choice of more military and law enforcement sniper units than any other rifle.
7. PF actions are not suitable for a DGR and it is irrelevant that the M1, M14, M16, & AK47 which were designed for hunting men that can shoot back are all PF actions.
8. 95 deg F in Africa is different than 95 deg F in TX or CA and that is why you must worry about ammunition temperature in Africa (even though most safaris take place in winter) but not in TX or in CA.
9. The size of a ding in a gun's finish doesn't matter, what matters is whether it’s a safe ding or not.
10. 1 in a row is a trend, 2 in a row is statistically significant, and 3 in a row is an irrefutable fact.
11. Never buy a WSM or RCM cartridge for a safari rifle or your go to rifle in the USA because if they lose your ammo you can't find replacement ammo but don't worry 280 Rem, 338-06, 35 Whelen, and all Weatherby cartridges abound in Africa and back country stores.
12. A well hit animal can run 75 yds. in the open and suddenly drop with no initial blood trail, but the one I shot from 200 yds. away that ran 10 yds. and disappeared into a thicket and was not found was lost because the bullet penciled thru. I am 100% certain of this even though I have no physical evidence.
13. A 300 Win Mag is a 500 yard elk cartridge but a 308 Win is not a 300 yard elk cartridge even though the same bullet is travelling at the same velocity at those respective distances.

Posts: 10097 | Location: Loving retirement in Boise, ID | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rapidrob
posted Hide Post
It is a great powder. The Tri-base really does burn cooler, have lower chamber pressure and give you much higher velocities.
The only real down side is that I've heard that it is not going to be offered in the future along with its brothers. Sales have not been good due to lack of availability on the shelves and folks who will not change/try something new.
The powder burns cleanly and is easy to ignite. Magnum primers are not needed.
I have no way to measure port pressure but I found it worked very well in my FN49, M-1 Garand,and in my 7.62x51mm gas rifles.

Gulf of Tonkin Yacht Club
NRA Endowment Member
President NM MILSURPS

Posts: 447 | Location: Albuquerque | Registered: 28 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I get more velocity with SuperF for similar charges vs H4350 in 'medium' sized cartridges pushing heavy for caliber bullets with long barrels, e.g. 7-08, 7mm WSSM

I do not find my particular lots to be very clean burning. There's a greasy-feeling residue in the bbl after every shot and there is significant build up on baffles of muzzle brakes versus Retumbo, H4350 and WXR after 30 shots or more, however it does not appear to affect accuracy even with a few hundred rounds between cleanings.

It's a dense sperical powder that flows very well through an RCBS/Redding barrel-type powder measure, but has noticeable lot to lot variation in velocity. It's supposed to be temperature stable according to the Hodgdon literature though.

I started using it as it was available during all the supply shortages. Made in USA instead of Australia.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I tried it in a couple 30-06s and did OK. In my Cooper it shot about the same most anything else but no better.

In my Remington it shot OK in the first and second barrels but not as fast as H4350 and not as accurate as Varget or 4064.

Its probably all just splitting hairs, because they all are quite capable of doing anything I want a 30-06 to do.

Ironically, one of the things that kept me away from settling on it was its lack of availability in Australia.

Posts: 1928 | Location: Saskatchewan, Canada | Registered: 30 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've used it and liked it in my 30/06AI. Good accuracy and good velocity. I don't know if it burns clean or dirty. I just clean my barrel and didn't notice any differences. I don't like hot loads for my hunting trips. I stopped at 58.5 grs./180 gr. bullet/ 2850 fps/ RP cases/ CCI 200/ 1.8" @ 200 yds.
I have some loaded up for tests in my 30/06 w/ 180 gr. bullets. We've had a lot of rain and my trips to the shooting range have been delayed. I'll post my results on here in a couple of days. (I hope)
PS. 25.5" bull barrel in that 30/06AI.
PS PS. I should have included more info. Bullet was 180 Sierra Pro-hunter. loaded .015 off the lands. Hodgdon data shows 59.7 grs. @ 2840 fps @ 57,600 psi in a standard 30/06. At 59 grs. I encountered stiff bolt lift. Ejector mark on brass and group size increased by 50%. So I backed off to 58.5 gr. I'm sure that with a little more juggling of primers and seating depths I can shrink the groups a little more. In a 30/06AI with 25.5" bbl. I expected a little more. But, it is what it is.

velocity is like a new car, always losing value.
BC is like diamonds, holding value forever.

Posts: 1650 | Location: , texas | Registered: 01 August 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Sales have not been good due to lack of availability on the shelves

If it is unavailable on the shelves then that would indicate that all of it is being sold, so how can sales not be good? Or are retailers hiding it behind the counter to prevent it being sold as part of a sound business plan from some alternative universe?

Like Yogi Berra is said to have said, "That place is so crowded that nobody goes there any more."

Posts: 13242 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Fury01
posted Hide Post
It probably would have been more accurate to describe as "not constantly available" on the shelves which is what it takes for someone to mass adopt any new product. We will wait for 4350 because we know what it will do. When it appears, we buy it. That won't happen much with a new product unless it is truly superior and the knowledge thereof is readily available. In the case of SuperF even Hodgdon makes it clear it only works well in a few cases.

"The liberty enjoyed by the people of these states of worshiping Almighty God agreeably to their conscience, is not only among the choicest of their blessings, but also of their rights."
~George Washington - 1789

Posts: 2135 | Location: Where God breathes life into the Amber Waves of Grain and owns the cattle on a thousand hills. | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fury01: In the case of SuperF even Hodgdon makes it clear it only works well in a few cases.

FWIW, When I called Hodgdon to ask about burnrate and load data they said that Hornady paid a lot for development of the Superformance formulations (there were 17 different kinds at the time) that they use in their loaded ammunition.

Hodgdon deliberately sells one powder formulation and provide specific data to limit competing directly with Hornady's line of products. At least that was the line I was given. I was told not to experiment with it, but as a wildcatter I can't rely on factory data, So I use what I can when it's available.

That said, I think it's worth a try to see if it works for you in your gun. It meters very nicely compared to the extruded powders and I get similar accuracy, but more velocity than H4350 and IMR4350.

One of Us
Picture of Rapidrob
posted Hide Post
It is being horded. I know folks who just buy any rifle powder they can find to horde it until prices go North and they sell it for a profit.

Gulf of Tonkin Yacht Club
NRA Endowment Member
President NM MILSURPS

Posts: 447 | Location: Albuquerque | Registered: 28 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jpl:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Fury01: In the case of SuperF even Hodgdon makes it clear it only works well in a few cases.

This is true of all of our powders. None of them work extremely well in more than just a few cases. According to Hodgdon there is an agreement with Hornady that restricts Hodgdon from publishing data when Superformance doesn't exceed the velocity of the standard powders by 75 fps. That doesn't mean that the powder won't work in these instances and still possibly be one of the best powders available for that set of circumstances. We'll just have to work up our own loads, which is what I do anyway.

PS. I don't think Superformance is being hoarded as much as some other powders. I got 8 lbs. about a month ago and the supplier is still showing it available. A flier that I received today from Natchez shows it available in 1 lb. and 8 lb. containers also.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I shot my test loads with Superformance and RL-22 today.
RL-22 came out on top in both accuracy and velocity. These were just preliminary tests, more testing will be necessary but 61 grs. of RL-22 gave me 2825fps with acceptable pressures and excellent accuracy with the Hornady 180 gr. Interlock bullet. Pressures were too high in my rifle at the listed 62 grs. and groups weren't very good either.
56 gr. of Superformance shot good groups but velocity was only 2640 fps. 58 grs. shot well also but pressure signs were starting to be high. Primers were extremely flat and there was a rubbed shiny mark on the base of the brass. Velocity was 2769 fps. Accuracy was not as good at 56.5, 57.0, or 57.5 grs. Although it would be plenty good enough to hunt with. 1 1/4-1 1/2 or so.

All velocities are instrumental, Rem. 700 w/ 24" bbl. Temperature was 68*.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Which primers were you using?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I started using it in the 260 with 125 grain Partitions and settled on it. It's not a great deal faster than 4064 or 4350, but I did touch 2900fps without real trouble. The load I hunt with is running 2860/2870 and is very accurate. That is from a 22 inch barrel.

Posts: 849 | Location: MN | Registered: 11 March 2009Reply With Quote